top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some BK CH7-questions concerning Mortgages...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some BK CH7-questions concerning Mortgages...

Hi folks,

Well, my mother is thinking about filing CH7 - maybe next year. Our first mortgage is current but the second isn't (the 2nd is totally "unsecured" considering the value of the home and balance of the 1st.).
    Since her total debt exceeds the CH13 limits, CH7 is the way to go (unfortunately, no 2nd mortgage stripping). Her income is below median income, no assets and no car. That's why we are aiming for a "pro se" filing.

The ultimate goal is to get rid of the 2nd mortgage. Although not an issue now, I'm sure it will be in a couple of years if we don't take care of it. I told my mother she could file CH7, not reaffirm both mortgages and once the dust settles, try to settle the 2nd mortgage for pennies on the $ (still, will be a lot of pennies because the loan is more than $150K). If they wouldn't agree, she could file CH13 four years after her CH7 discharge and potentially strip it.

Currently, I'm trying to get a whole picture about the consequences of a potential filing. The house we have right now is basically all we have and I'm thinking about all potential pitfalls of this process. Although the loan-amount is much more than the value of the house, most of it is interest-free and not due within the next 25 years - so we are only paying a mortgage of about $1,300/month (incl. taxes and escrow!) on a house that has a zillow rent-estimate of $2,300/month. I certainly don't want to lose this house - and certainly not due to a second mortgage in 10 years or so. So here are my questions so far:

- She would be filing in Florida's Middle-District (Tampa). I've read about a judge in Orlando that requires reaffirmation of mortgages. Any info on that?
    - "CH20" is not an option in our district, right?
    - Can a lender in our district under any circumstances foreclose on a non-reaffirmed but current mortgage? This is also very important because a "it's unlikely they will foreclose"-scenario won't be an option for us. When it comes to our home, we need legal certainty.
    - Are there any legal "grace-periods" under non-reaffirmed mortgages as well? Although we are usually current on our mortgage, The check sometimes reaches our lender 2-3 days "late". Is that enough to foreclose or do we still have the same "right to cure" prior to the actual foreclosure as we would have under Florida law on a non-discharged mortgage? This would be important as well - just like before. We really don't care much about what is likely or not - we just don't want to take any chances.

Being a "what if?"-kind of guy, I informed myself what would happen to our mortgage if something happened to my mother (God forbid!). I found out that there is a federal law called "The Garner-St. Germain Depository Institutions Regulation Act" from 1982, basically saying that I could take over the mortgage and continue payments since I'm her son and living in the house.

- Now, does this law apply to discharged, non-reaffirmed loans as well? And if yes, how? Would I be personally liable by taking over the payments of a discharged mortgage of my mother or would I simply be making the payments without personal liability?

If a discharged loan couldn't be "transferred" to me under this law, I would actually have to aim at a reaffirmation in order to avoid losing the house in a worst case scenario.

In two weeks, we have a free consultation with a local BK-lawyer but I wanted to be ahead of the game by asking the board..

Thanks in advance!
    IBroke
    Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
    FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
    FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Do some research on this case.

Comment

Originally posted by keepmine View Post
      Wow, thanks!

This would make things much easier for us. So this decision is 4 months old but I haven't heard of it before. I guess I wasn't "up to date" any more..
      Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.

Comment

Now, is there any way we could file such a case "pro se"? I'm guessing that stripping would make the procedure a bit more complex - or do we simply have to file an additional form?

Comment

Update:

Soooo...we just returned from our appointment. That attorney is in business for more than 35 years and he made a great impression - so my mother will hire him.

If everything works out as planned, filing will be in January. First mortgage will be reaffirmed and second mortgage will be stripped. It's just freakin' outstanding to have the opportunity to strip a $150K-lien in a CH7!

Comment

It sounds like 'Congratulations' are in order!
            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
              It sounds like 'Congratulations' are in order!
              Thanks, Cat!

It is certainly a bit early in the process. Most of the time, you certainly think twice if filing for BK is the right move. well, after I filed, I knew that it was. Now, with the option to get rid of this second mortgage, it would actually irresponsible NOT to file. After all, nobody knows how long this opportunity to strip a second in a CH7 will be available.

Now, we "only" have to work towards saving for the legal fees...but considering what a potential settlement of a $150K-mortgage would have cost us, we gladly pay an attorney instead

Comment

Originally posted by IBroke View Post
                Update:

Soooo...we just returned from our appointment. That attorney is in business for more than 35 years and he made a great impression - so my mother will hire him.

If everything works out as planned, filing will be in January. First mortgage will be reaffirmed and second mortgage will be stripped. It's just freakin' outstanding to have the opportunity to strip a $150K-lien in a CH7!
                So, the reaffirmation on the first was required to ensure your rights under "The Garner-St. Germain Depository Institutions Regulation Act"?

Comment

Excellent news!
                  Agreed, it would be crazy NOT to file.
                  Best of luck!

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by shoopy View Post
                    So, the reaffirmation on the first was required to ensure your rights under "The Garner-St. Germain Depository Institutions Regulation Act"?
                    Honestly, that was the only question the attorney couldn't or didn't want to answer. I didn't pursue this point to the end because we told the attorney right away that keeping the house was our highest priority. Not reaffirming might put this goal in jeopardy due to some conflicting decisions of judges in the past. Some share the opinion that "retain & pay" avoids a foreclosure as long as you are current while others demand a reaffirmation to be on the save side.

Under normal circumstances, reaffirming a mortgage that is about $200K under water would be insane but the attorney agreed that in our case, the low monthly payment and our intention to keep the house for many years to come along our wish for 100% legal security about the status of the mortgage make a difference.

We are simply looking at our home as some kind of "long term investment". We are paying less than $480/month in interest on this $550K mortgage. In addition, it is a HAMP. The P&I-payments ($515/month) are fixed for the next 25 years. No matter what is going to happen financially in the future - we will need a place to live and as I said before, finding a rental in our area that would actually be cheaper than the $1250 we currently pay is almost impossible. Now, with the lien of the second mortgage, it would have been difficult to get some sort of equity again on this property - but with a stripped second, breaking even and building equity at some point is within reach again. A lot can happen over a period of 25 years and I'm sure there will be better days for the real-estate market within that time-frame, too.

This recent court-ruling can make a huge difference for so many people like us and I can only hope as many people as possible will be notified of this option and take advantage of it. The few lucky ones who can take advantage of it should do so as long as they can!

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
                      Best of luck!
                      Thanks!

Comment

Folks, two questions just popped up in my head:

1. My mother has a couple of judgments against her so it's very likely that judgment liens exist. The attorney advised us that he will file an avoidance to take care of that. However, this is not included in the fee and his schedule of fees show $200 for lien avoidance motions. I'm not yet sure if this is for every single avoidance. My mother has about 5 judgments and that could cost us an additional $1,000. So my question would be: If the attorney does NOT take care of these liens and they survive the discharge, would they actually be "void" once my mother vacates these judgments after she has been discharged for at least a year? Or in other words: Do judgment-liens stay in effect although the judgments they are based on have been cancelled/vacated?

2. Since my mother is the homeowner and owns some furniture, she might have assets exceeding the $1K-limit (my guess is that her assets could be at about $2K total). So I guess her CH7-filing - other than mine - could potentially be an "asset-case". I assume that is the reason why the attorney advised us to make 100% sure that we include every single debt on the schedule or it won't be discharged. As far as I know, discharged debt does still exist but can't be collected any more. So here's my question: The debt my mother has is several years old and for the most part, has reached its SOL. Am I right that we shouldn't be too concerned in case we forget listing a debt that has reached its SOL? I'm aware that such a potential creditor could still call us and/or send letters - but he wouldn't be able to obtain a judgment against my mother any more if she show to the court that the debt exceeded the SOL, right?

Thanks for your input!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X