chapter 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chapter 7

I live paycheck to paycheck I pay all my bills not on time but I pay my bills course that leaves me 340.00 for the month my bills are smud PG&e cable TV water car insurance rent and I have two cars one is. paid for and the other one making payments my debt is credit cards and a car loan I was wondering if I can file for Chapter 7 any help will be appreciated

That is not an easy answer, and it is unclear with the info you have given us.

Some simple guidelines: if your debt payments are keeping you from having money left at the end of the month for necessities, something dramatic has to happen. Chapter 7 bankruptcy is one of those possibilities. You must qualify for Ch 7, which means that your income and debt situations, as well as your assets, must line up with what is acceptable for filing. In general, this is not a difficult proposition for most people who ask if they qualify.

Some things to consider: Filing Ch 7 means the reset of a debt nightmare, but the rest is up to you. You must be able and WILLING to manage your finances within your means after discharge, as you have no other recourse for the next 8 years. Your credit history will be branded for the next 10 years, though most people find that a smaller issue. And, I can pretty much guarantee that you will not like some of the answers you get when you file Ch 7 - a Trustee has a tremendous amount of power and essentially owns everything you have for the few months your file is open. That might mean seeing a second car - or anything not covered by an exemption - get taken away and sold.

What BK does not fix: If you have a habit of spending on credit and not paying the full amount every month, BK cannot solve that. If you have non-dischargeable debts - BK cannot help. If you live beyond your means and do not have a safety net of funds in the bank - BK cannot solve that. These things, and others, you must solve yourself.

Tell us a little more, such as your income, debt amounts, asset values, etc. We can then help point you in the right direction.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X