No announcement yet.

Married but Filing Separate- Exemptions Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the advice. I'll be discussing this with a lawyer tomorrow before I file.

Comment

Please let us know how it goes, and please get at least one more opinion, besides this one, before you file.

Good Luck!
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Does your state offer any kind of uncategorized or wildcard category where you could basically exempt anything you wanted using the leftover amount(s) from other category(ies)? Seems like that would be ideal in your situation. My wife and I did/do not own a house, so my lawyer utilized my unused Homestead Exemption to protect the income tax refund we had recently received. Whatever the case may be in your state, a local BK attorney will know how to best leverage what few exemptions do exist in your state to your best possible advantage... and most importantly, what will fly with the trustee.
        4/2010 - Filed Chapter 7 no asset case w/car reaffirm
        5/2010 - 341 meeting, no creditors present
        10/2010 - Reaffirm finally approved and case discharged the same day

Comment

Thank you all so much for the advice! I did go see a lawyer on Friday and he gave me some sound advice and actually supported me in filing myself. Today is the day that I file and I've check over my BK paperwork about 10 times over the weekend to try to catch any mistakes. I'm still a little worried about the 341 meetings but I think I'm going to step into one in the next week before my 341 happens just so I'm familiar with what it will look like.

I'll keep you guys posted how it all goes and lets hope it goes smoothly.

Thanks again!

Comment

Sculp1n, that's great that you found a lawyer supporting your pro se. If anything does come up, even if you have to pay by the hour, you've got someone to call on. I wish you the best, hope it goes well.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X