Many thanks....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many thanks....

My husband and I are considering filing Bk after he lost his job in December. We remain hopeful he will gain employment, but are trying to prepare ourselves for the prospects of bankruptcy. We have not consulted an attorney yet, but have learned so much from this site in preparation for our first consult. So, thanks to everyone for taking the time to educate all of us overwhelmed newbies. Your dedication to helping others is commendable. Now, that I am able to post I'm sure I will do my fair share of questioning, so thanks in advance for your patients

Quiznos1

Welcome, and ask away.

We have all been in your shoes at one point or another, and have suffered through many of the same emotions you are going through. I just kept reminding myself this was a business decision, and that helped overcome the emotional hurdles staring me down.

GL

Comment

Thanks, TBA. I appreciate the encouragement. We are definitely experiencing a roller-coaster-ride of emotions. Reading everyone's post has really helped keep my perspective in check and focus on a solution instead of the "what if".

Quiznos1

Comment

Keep reading and start putting your goals down in a timeline as part of the preparation. It helps to see the process or the events leading up to filing in black and white. Gives you hope that there is and end in sight and also makes you feel like you are taking control back. Once you start feeling that control over your financial life once again it is so empowering. Knowledge is power and that gives you confidence in your decisions. The decision to file bankruptcy is a business decision for the business of your family.

Next month (3/21) will be one year since our discharge/close on our filing. I cannot tell you the difference it has made in our lives and the lessons learned have forever changed the way we handle things financially. Not so much in using credit cards (we do not use them at all) but in making sure we have cash set aside for emergencies, using all cash for things and just the mental adjustment, it has all been so freeing. We live a simple life and opt for quality in lieu of quantity (things). We are comfortable and happy, we are taking a family vacation in a month for the first time in 4 years that is completely paid for in cash (hotels, entertainment (theme park tickets), food, gas etc). We feel so good about what we have accomplished in the last year and will continue to live the simple life.

Ask as many questions as you need or want to and the best of luck on your journey, you are not alone...

Comment

Drazil65, writting down our goals sounds like a great idea! I can not wait until, like you, we are looking back at this experience and smiling. The thought of not having unsecured debt sounds amazing. We are in Texas so, our exemptions are abundant, but I told my husband last night I would give up everything we own,except for the house and car, to get out of debt.

Comment

Hi Quiznos1,
            I started reading this board exactly 2(!!!) years before I filed. It still was somewhat arduous, mostly because I had the most anal retentive attorney who vetted his clients so thoroughly that the only times he had an AP was when a client intentionally lied to him before the 341. He turned down potential clients for plenty of reasons (most interestingly, couples who were in the midst of a divorce) and did his best to steer clients into a Chapter 7. His rationale for that is that a 13 is much more difficult, costs the clients a lot more money, and although most attorneys charge more for Chapter 13s, he didn't think it was particularly good, besides the comment that "I don't wanna see your face here more than necessary" His other comment was "I don't want to see you back here, so you better take this as a hard lesson for future preparedness" I didn't think it was ever possible to love an attorney, but I was devastated when he died just months after my 7 was discharged.

This board is a gold mine. Use it wisely!

Comment

Hi sabatman, sorry to hear about your lawyer. I hope we are fortunate enough to work with such a diligent and honorable lawyer. We have not had a consult with an attorney because it just scares me to just pick one off the internet. I known we can interview several, but this is something so new to us that we don't have a comfort level with choosing a lawyer based on one interview.
              Your right about this board being a gold mine...I don't know how anyone could just go into BK blind- relying solely on their attorney. I'm too much of a control freak

Comment

Hi Quiznos1 - I was a nervous wreck trying to choose an attorney - ironically, my son in law is an attorney but I'm keeping this totally confidential, I've told no one!! It's reallyno ones business! Anyway, I researched 2 or 3 local Bk attorneys, looked at their reviews on Google, Yelp and a website that rates attorneys. I feel I made a good choice, I like him and his staff is amazing, very thorough! So far, so good!! My chapter 7 will be filed tomorrow...I look forward to a new beginning down the road! I am certainly not the type of person to walk away from my financial responsibility but it just couldn't be helped!! The countdown begins tomorrow...fingers crossed!

Comment

mknolan, congratulations on starting down the road to financial freedom... I hope all goes well with your filing tomorrow. We can’t wait to start down that road, as well. We meet with our first attorney tomorrow and a second on Tuesday. I hope, like you, we find an attorney we respect and trust.

I understand how hard it is to not to pay your debts. We haven’t stop paying any bills yet, but that will change very shortly, as our money reserve will be depleted soon . We will file either way-just not sure if it will be 7 or13.

Best of luck to you, tomorrow. Hope to continue to hear how it’s going.
                  Quiznos1

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X