Interrogatories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interrogatories

So after the UST filed the Motion to Dismiss for Presumption of Abuse, we filed our answers last week.

The UST has now responded with 6 interrogatories from that targeting what the disposition is of our 2012 tax refund (when/if we received it, how it was spent); what has changed to reduce our 2012 refund compared with tax years 2010 & 2011, which the UST had compared our January 2013 wages to and determined X dollars of excess tax refund that should be included in disposable income. We argued that this is not an accurate comparasion, many things have changed since 2010 particularly fewer tax credits available such as child credit, Making work pay, education, and also lower amounts paid for mortgage interest. Our 2012 refund was about 1/2 of the previous 2 years for these reasons.

They also questioned who the primary drivers are of each vehicle as they had previously stated that expenses related to our adult children (although both in college with minimal p/t income and recognized by the IRS as dependents) are not applicable. We argued then that wages earned should be broken out along with any tax credits, deductions and exemptions that are specifically weighted for the children should be factored out as well.

We had to itemize our charitable contributions from 2012 and list out the ones so far for 2013 because again, the UST took the average from 2010 and 2011 and used that against the DMI. There was a vehicle originally listed on the auto insurance renewal binder that we no longer have due to being totalled so we had to say how much we got and what we did with those funds (bought another vehicle-approximately same amount).

The only one that was kind of out there was that our attorney put on our answers to the Motion that $50 per month for cable TV was necessary for the health and welfare of the family. Not really sure about that but I am wondering if the charges for a landline telephone would be more suited? We currently bundle the package of internet, phone and cable but if cable is disallowed, then we would technically have to unbundle the package and pay it out separately.

So, with all of this said, what are the chances that the UST might pull the Motion to Dismiss if these answers satisfy him? Our attorney is on vacation until next week and our next hearing is scheduled for May 21st. I am hoping that these will satisfy the trustee but not getting too excited about it.

Well, I think our Chapter 7 is pretty much dead in the water!!!!

Found out yesterday that in addition to the Interrogatories there was also a request to produce documents. Of these requests were the 3 most recent paystubs. Since the request was dated April 16th, I am assuming (have call into the attorney) that these are from April 16th backwards. If so, then my wife's new job, and the higher salary, will come into play-she had not started the new job at the time of the original filing or at the initial 341 meeting.

Assuming the worse and we have to convert, is the new Chapter 13 means test that we will have to do be based on the most current financials or are they based on the initial Chapter 7 filing date?

Comment

You are not dead yet, but you are definitely cancerous. Depending on how much your wife's new income is and what new expenses you have, you may be able to eat up the increase. For instance if her new job offers health insurance (take it and put everyone on it) 401k (max it out) FSA, etc. If she drives farther or more, you can increase gas etc. Worst case, you convert to a Ch 13. (the budget is based on current income) and hopefully your attorney can throw some secured debt into the plan so you can reduce or eliminate paying unsecured debt.

Good Luck
      Disclaimer: I am not an actor on TV, but I play a BK Paralegal in real life. Nothing I say should be construed as legal advice, or really anything but entertainment. Please seek out professional help.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X