means test, line 20B - NEVERMIND, I FIGURED IT OUT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

means test, line 20B - NEVERMIND, I FIGURED IT OUT

I signed my ch7 papers today. Probably going to be filed on Monday or Tuesday.

They gave me a copy of my petition and I read the whole thing over 3 or 4 times. On the means test, line 20B, I think there may be an error.

Line 20B is "Local Standards: housing and utilities; mortgage/rent expenses".
    Part a. "IRS Housing and Utlities Standards; mortgage/rental expenses." This is what the IRS thinks an average person in my situation should be paying, if I am understanding it correctly. The amount listed is approximately $1,100.
    Part b. "Average Monthly Payments for any debts secured by your home, if any, as stated in Line 42". This is my mortgage payment. It is correctly listed as approximately $1,600 (the exact actual figure is on my paper).
    Part c. "Net Mortgage/rental expense". In the instruction, it says to subtract b from a. This should be approximately $500, then. What is entered is $0.00, zero.

Is this an error? It would seem to me that the ~$500 amount should be listed on 20B(c). Then, shouldn't this $500 be added to my monthly expenses? So where I was previously about negative $75 a month, it would be be negative $575 for the purpose of calculating my means test?

The atty's office is obviously closed until Monday so I can't call them.

edit: After rereading it, it looks like I can't understand simple word problems. I was subtracting A from B, instead of B from A. If done as per the instructions, i.e. $1100 - $1600 = -$500, instead of $1600 - $1100 = $500, then the amount of $0.00 is correct since the instructions also say not to enter an amount less than zero. Sorry for making this psot but I swear I looked at this for a good 30 minutes trying to figure it out.
    Last edited by TXskyblue; 05-03-2013, 05:38 PM. Reason: I can't do math, apparently.
    Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement.

To save anyone from reading the above, it turns out I just didn't understand the instructions. My form is right - it was my brain that was wrong.
    Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement.

Comment

No worries . . . BK is enough to scramble one's brains!

It's Friday night. I suggest a short cocktail and a funny movie. Start off tomorrow with a fresh look.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X