top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Totally Random Question: Scholarships for BK filers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totally Random Question: Scholarships for BK filers?

So... I'm back in school and am trying to figure out how to pay for it without taking out student loans. Anybody know of any scholarships for folks who have filed for BK and want to return to school? There is a definite "need" and I've completed a FAFSA. I'm working as much as I can, but pretty much all of it is going to living expenses.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    PPP

Never heard of one specifically, though I can tell you that a great many civic organizations, privately-funded clubs, business organizations and trade groups offer a great many scholarships that go unused every year.

There are often (free) services in your area that connect people with money for school. Do some digging. Start with the school financial aid office.

As well, I can recommend a new book by Dr. William Bennett, former Sec of Education, called "Is College Worth It?" It makes a strong case for choosing and educating for a career carefully, rather than spending tens of thousands of dollars and years in school for jobs that don't exist and paychecks that never make more than the interest payments on student loans. Many of those afore-mentioned scholarships are awarded to folks who have a specific goal or job in mind, and many come with hands-on experience (apprenticeships, etc) as well.

Comment

My husband rec'd 2 scholarships during his bankruptcy with no issues. The only issue we did have was with a student loan disbursement (was the 2nd disbursement for the spring semester) that Sallie Mae backed out of because of the chp 7 filing. So if you are getting student loans during that time just be aware the some of the student loan companies may not honor a disbursement if you file. Good Luck!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X