Thinking of filing on my own, beginner questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks!

What is the best way to pull my credit report if I have already used Free Annual Credit Report once this year? FACR only lets you pull it for free once a year right?

Comment

I just don't want to end up paying for something I don't need. I keep getting directed to links where they want to charge for a "membership".

Comment

You can buy reports from the individual CRA's.
        Don't forget about the mandatory credit counseling you have to take within 180 days of filing. The certficate of completion must be part of your filing.

Comment

Now that I am in the middle of filling out the forms, I have a lot of questions.

1. I'm guessing my unsecured credit card debts should be listed on Schedule F - Creditors Holding Unsecured Nonpriority Claims ?

2. On Schedule C, I see a column that says 'Specify Law Providing Each Exemption". In my Nolo book where it shows an example of Schedule C filled out, I see things like "C.C.P 703.140(b)(5)" in this column. I have no idea what that means, or what I should be filling in there. Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

3. Last but not least, Form 1, Exhibit A looks COMPLETELY different from the same form in my Nolo book. I'm not sure if it's because my Nolo book was printed in 2010 and the forms have changed since then? In any case, is there an example of this form filled out online somewhere? It looks pretty straight forward I just want to be extra safe.

4. The top of each form has 2 fields. One says "In RE _________debtor" and the other says "Case No._______if known". Do I fill these out, or is that just for the courts to fill in?

Comment

Also, when filling out Section B, how do I determine the replacement value of certain items. Like a 2009 Macbook. Would I just go on craigslist and try to come up with a rough estimate of how much that computer sells for used now?

Comment

Price your items like you are having to sell them at a yard sale to get some quick money. Or you can try taking your Macbook to a couple of pawn shops to see what you might get if you were to sell or pawn it. I am not a Mac user, but I suspect you would be doing good to get at most $50.00 for it--IF you didn't get laughed out of the store. You are NOT looking for 'replacement' prices; you are looking for what your stuff is currently worth. 2009 is ancient in terms of computers.

Most of us are abashed and embarrassed how much our used stuff actually IS worth--especially when we overpaid for it in the first place.
              "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by bagel View Post

3. Last but not least, Form 1, Exhibit A looks COMPLETELY different from the same form in my Nolo book. I'm not sure if it's because my Nolo book was printed in 2010 and the forms have changed since then?
                Throw that 2010 book away and go to NOLOPress, and buy the very latest edition of the CH7 book. You can purchase a downloadable version, and print it out yourself.

BK Laws change a little bit every year, and Nolopress is constantly updating their material. Trying to follow an outdated book is only going to confuse you and lead you into making some serious mistakes.
                "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X