Already reaffirmed, but have questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Already reaffirmed, but have questions

Hi all, we are in the process of chapter 7 and the lawyer said we should sign the reaffirmation agreement on our home, which we did. I have read alot about reaffirming, etc. but still have questions. Our home is worth about 80,000 and we owe 50,000. If something happened and we couldn't pay our mortgage, wouldn't we be able to sell the home and pay off the mortgage and still be ok? I just don't understand what the difference is between reaffirming and not. I know it's too late for us now, but I would still like to know.

Thanks!

Signing the reaffirmation leaves the mortgage exactly as it was before you filed bankruptcy.

You will be obligated to pay back it. Absent a reaffirmation agreement, you would not have that obligation.

Under either circumstance, you could sell it.
    Filed Joint, No Asset, > $100,000 Unsecured Ch.7 6/7/13 ~~ 341 Meeting 7/15/13 ~~ Discharged 9/16/13 !!

Comment

You still have the right to change your mind and rescind the reaffirmation as long as you are still in the active BK. Once you are discharged, it is too late.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Also, it must be approved by the court. Some judges will deny reaffirmation agreements, since they are unnecessary for real estate and benefit only the creditor.
        Filed Joint, No Asset, > $100,000 Unsecured Ch.7 6/7/13 ~~ 341 Meeting 7/15/13 ~~ Discharged 9/16/13 !!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X