Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USAA Reaffirmation

Hello all,

I did a search but didn't turn up anything too recent. I was curious if anyone has any relatively recent experience with USAA and bk? I have one credit card with them for about $6k and I also have homeowners and auto insurance through them. I know they pretty much dump you if you discharge their debt.

Does anyone have any recent experience in reaffirming the cc debt and being able to keep insurance with them? Their insurance is significantly cheaper for me that the pay off of the cc is offset in about 1-1 1/2 years compared to higher rates elsewhere.

Thanks

You are not finding information because it is rare for someone to file bankruptcy and reaffirm CC debt. There are other places to get insurance, don't go putting conditions on your fresh start right from the beginning, you are giving way too much power over to USAA. You could probably find a reason to keep every relationship you have if you use this kind of reasoning. If they drop you so be it, move on.

Comment

You can keep your insurance through them. We were afraid we would get dumped and then be in a bind to get new insurance so we left them. That was a mistake. We ended up going back a couple of years later, while still in our Ch 13 plan.

We burned them on 2 credit cards and they will immediately cut all your online access with them. They told us we can come back when it is off our credit reports but we won't. We switched our banking to NFCU and they have been good to us.

Comment

I hurt USAA big time only because I had so many eggs in their basket-credit cards and HELOC and 1st mortgage. When they foreclosed, at least the house value was barely more than the 1st mortgage balance. But with the other debts, we were well above the $100,000 area.

So, I've maintained my car insurance with them, but nothing else. They won't touch me unless I were to pay back everything I bk'd them on-not possible. I can't use any financial products or other new ones until 10 years drops off as of last contact. Some representatives have told me 3 years, 5 years or 7 years. So, who knows? It'll be four years 2015.

So now, I just legally married-hubby has credit cards and bank accounts with them. USAA will not let me be an authorized buyer, nor a joint signer on his checking and saving accounts.

I can only contact them by telephone, no online access.

But, I've switched to NFCU also. It hasn't been the end of the world losing USAA, except for the auto insurance which is worth keeping.

Comment

We also had a lot of eggs in USAA's basket. We filed in Aug, Discharged in Nov and they have yet to drop our Insurance. (knock on wood!)

Comment

Reaffirmed our vehicles with USAA as they both had significant equity. We got titles to both cars with no issues once they were paid off.

Had 2 cc's and a small signature loan that we bk'd.

This was in 2010/11 and we have had vehicles, renter's policy & a $1m umbrella liability policy with them since then with no trouble. We do have to use the mobile app to pay our premiums but no skin off our noses in that regard. We still have a checking account with them with the same $50 that was in there when we filed.

Good luck!!
            ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
            Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

We had a credit card and mortgages. Chapter 13 wiped that out but we still have auto, renters and savings with them. They do tag your account for 7 years after bankrupcy.

Comment

BK'ed in 2010 and included USAA. as punishment (and as previously posted) they lock you out from their web site and make things a bit more difficult to do but other than that they still provided us with insurance and responded to claims we had (towing).

NFCU....I would never use them no matter what because of how they treated people whom lost their jobs when the economy first started failing. of all the banks, they were the worst without a doubt using strong arm approaches in attempting to get people to pay even though they lost their jobs and to collect from their members using outright lies in what the law required when collecting on a debt. don't take my word for it, conduct some research and make your own decision. I was never a customer of theirs but I read so many posts on other sites about how they treated their members that it left a lasting impression. Remember and never forget, the banks are very nice when you walk into their lobby to open an account but if you loose your job and miss a payment, they will do what ever it takes to get any money they can from you.

Comment

Originally posted by angles View Post
                  NFCU....I would never use them no matter what because of how they treated people whom lost their jobs when the economy first started failing. of all the banks, they were the worst without a doubt using strong arm approaches in attempting to get people to pay even though they lost their jobs and to collect from their members using outright lies in what the law required when collecting on a debt. don't take my word for it, conduct some research and make your own decision. I was never a customer of theirs but I read so many posts on other sites about how they treated their members that it left a lasting impression. Remember and never forget, the banks are very nice when you walk into their lobby to open an account but if you loose your job and miss a payment, they will do what ever it takes to get any money they can from you.

I utterly despise NFCU for the reason I bolded in your statement, angles. They were horrid from the first day we were late with a CC payment... luckily I had the joy of telling them that we filed for BK - "uh, uh, ummm ermmmm <click>"
                  ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                  Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Originally posted by ValleYum View Post
                    I utterly despise NFCU for the reason I bolded in your statement, angles. They were horrid from the first day we were late with a CC payment... luckily I had the joy of telling them that we filed for BK - "uh, uh, ummm ermmmm <click>"
                    I am surprised they did not tell you that even though you filed for BK you would still be responsible for the unsecured debt, and that they would chase you to the ends of earth until you paid up. yes, I have read others posting that NFCU has made that statement to them over the phone. if you are a NFCU customer, those are the kind of people you are supporting. not me, not ever.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X