Another Vehicle Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Vehicle Question

Other than the car that carries a note I have a truck 1999 that I own free and clear. My state exemption is 1200.00 This truck is a POS LOL and Car Max just offered to buy it for 2500.00 even if I didnt buy a car from them?
    I got the written appraisal from them because I thought for sure it would
    out to around 1500.00 How close do the trustees push this kind of thing?
    And what happens if they hold me to the 2500.00 appraised value. I can get
    a little lower ok Kelly Blue Book but not much less. Sweating over here

Thanks In Advance
    Thanks,

Chris

A suggestion to get value down

(and lose that Carmax estimate in a drawer at home!) Take a "poor" condition valuation from Edmonds or Kelly BB and then also go to the priciest auto repair in your town. Get an oil change or lube or tire rotate. And ask them for a written estimate on what would take to repair "a strange noise, or rough ride" what ever the vehicle seems to do even if you know it will keep running anyway. Use that to bolster your claim that vehicle is only worth about the exemption. My lawyer suggested that for my 10 year old van, and I got the value down to more realistic level.

Or borrow a few brown markers and add "rust" decorations at certain spots when you take a picture. The opposite of what some people do to disguise defects for those for sale by owner mags in the gas stations....just kidding! My daughter just went to look at one of those this week; it was raining and she saw colored marker running off disguised scratches on the Mustang...
    August '05 Business failed.
    Spring '06 Found this site, thank heavens
    Chap 7 (no asset) filed 11/10/06; 341:1/31/07
    disharged 2/26; closed 4/17/07

Comment

Was the AC working when you took it to Carmax? Carmax really doesn't look into why the AC is not working, just "blows hot" or "cold". If the AC compressor clutch does not engage that significantly reduces the value of the vehicle, maybe 600.00 - 700.00 or more. Just a thought.

Bobby's also has a good idea. Perhaps in a month or so the AC may die but you could get it revalued by Carmax. Also your own pics of the interior and all could be most unflattering. Also a "generator" light can come on easily but could be corrected in seconds. Carmax won't look for it. Was a diesel mechanic for many years, now a rail technician, just my thoughts. Never mess with your mechanic while he has your vehicle!

Hate to say it, wouldn't do it myself but depends on your family situation and all, you have to fight to survive sometimes.
      Last edited by robivi3; 07-06-2006, 02:41 PM.
      "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

Comment

Actually I told car max about the a/c clutch going out and not to turn it on
        because it would brake the the serpentine belt. I mean I suppose I could go
        with the 2500 trade in and get my mechanic to write up an estimate on
        fixing the a/c and the clutch thats roaring like a freight train. Im sure that would be more than enough to drop the value. And also be honest because those repairs are legit..Does the trustee actually inspect the vehicle or do they just go by the paper work you bring in??? BTW Thanks Bobby'sgirl & RobIVI3 for the help. Back to the fridg for a cold one.... If I lose this vehicle I will be walking LOL because I surely cant purchase another one after BK

PS yes I told carmax the a/c did not work at all.
        Last edited by ICEHOUSE; 07-06-2006, 03:03 PM.
        Thanks,

Chris

Comment

Any body damage???

We have one car with some rust. A design flaw that allows water to settle in the back floorboard. Rusted a hole thru it. The repair costs ate up over 75% of the value of the vehicle.

Maybe you should go to a body shop and see about cosmetic repairs as well.
          Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
          Discharged - 12/2006
          Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
          Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Good Idea sinkingfast...I do have a dent in the rear panel LOL
            Thanks,

Chris

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X