• Time
  • Show
Clear All

One More Vehicle Questions

I know I have mentioned this car thing before.....but I ran some numbers
    and hopeing someone who have already been through BK can give me
    some good news LOL. MY old truck is work roughly 2500.00 Our state only
    lets you use state exemptions and it would be 1200.00 for a vehicle here in
    SC My question is do they actually take your vehicle if its the only transportation you have? If so can you like make payments for the difference
    in the exemption and value? and keep the car,,,, gosh this is frustrating
    Thanks,

Chris

Yes, you may usually offer to make payment of the difference to the trustee in order to keep the vehicle.
    Filed Pro-se: 01/18/06
    341 meeting: 02/14/2006
    Objection Deadline: 04/17/06
    Discharge: 06/13/2006
    Closed: 06/21/2006

Credit cards

06/25/06, reopened a Discover that I closed before my bk, $1500 limit
    July 2006, Target Redcard $200 limit
    August 2006, Hooters MC $1750 limit

Comment

do mean like payments each month? I wont have the 1300 to pay the difference after I pay the lawyer
      Thanks,

Chris

Comment

Trustees have costs to sell. They pay a company to handle that for them. And they quick sell as well. So the truck won't bring the full $2500 and it'll cost the Trustee about 10%, roughly, to sell.

If your truck is old, high mileage, the Trustee may well abandon it outright. Or the Trustee could offer to settle the difference between your exemption and the value of the vehicle. But the Trustee probably won't take payments. Most times, they want a cash lump sum settlement. Trustees don't care where the money comes from or how you get it either.
        Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
        Discharged - 12/2006
        Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
        Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

ok, thanks for the help... I think I will try to save the money now and hopefully he wont take it lol......one more question> How does the trustee
          get the value? Does he take my word or the KBB report I print out? Or does
          he simply research it himself?

your the greatest
          Thanks,

Chris

Comment

The attny that files your BK for you will set the value. Some attnys use KBB. Our attny uses Edmunds.com and averages all 3 values. Wholesale/Trade-in, Private Party sale, and Retail, to get the value.

Generally, the Trustee takes the amount the attny lists as the value. Occassionally, the Trustee will not believe the petition and ask for a 3rd party appraisal. If you had a Benz or a Porsche you were trying to keep, that might happen. An old Ford pick-up, probably not. Unless you were trying to sneak thru an unrealistically low value.
            Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
            Discharged - 12/2006
            Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
            Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X