Collection Calls At Your Place of Employment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collection Calls At Your Place of Employment

Is it legal to get harassment calls from collectors at your place of employment? I've chosen not to communicate with them but it's getting out of control. I've received collection letters at work and numerous phone calls. One voice mail left by a collector was left with a co-worker. Good thing she's a friend of mine, so she relayed the message to me. Does anyone have a sample letter I can send these collectors to stop calling me? I already have a lawyer, I've already taken a debt counseling plans, and making payments with my lawyer for filing. Please help!!

I believe it is illegal for them to call you at your place of employment IF you inform them that you are not allowed to get personal calls, and request that they not call you there. Best to do that in writing.

That being said.....it didn't always work for me. Two of my worst creditors...collection agencies used by Dell and Home Depot...continued to harrass me at work even after I told them not to call me there. However, I only told them verbally, not in a letter. Wish I knew then all that I know now! I was pretty much a total wreck with them calling me constantly. It was VERY embarrassing, as I work in a small office.

If you get certified letters out ASAP, you should be okay.

Boy, did I breathe a sigh of relief the day my BK was filed and the stay kicked in. NO more phone calls; NO more bills in the mail.

Check sample letters here:
    Post sample letters (not links) and forms which can easily be modified and used by other community members.
    Filed Ch. 7 June 14, 2007
    341 Meeting July 19, 2007
    Discharged September 17, 2007
    Closed September 17, 2007

Comment

In the collection context, not talking to the collector is a mistake. There are threads floating around that explain how to deal with the situation, but if you don't talk to the collectors, then they are free to call your relatives and place of employment. Now, there are restrictions on what they can say to 3rd parties, but until you talk to them, identify yourself and identify how they can contact you, the calls to 3rd parties can continue.

Comment

My way of dealing with collectors' calls at my work (office phone) was that I just identified myself, asked them if I can help them. once they identified themselves I gave them my cell phone # - told them to only call me on my cell phone during certain break times.

Comment

If you have already got a lawyer, just refer the calls to him/her and give them your case number. That's what you are paying him for.
          Filed Pro Se 9/10/07
          341 Complete 10/16/07
          Discharged 1/23/08

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X