Calls already pouring in...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calls already pouring in...........

WOW- I am shocked. January was the first month my husband didnt pay his unsecurred cc's and the phone is already ringing off the hook. For some reason, they are mostly coming to my cell phone. Dont know why since he has never put it on any applications or anything. He has gotten two at work and told both to never call him there again. I just cant believe how aggressvie they are being so early in the game. My credit counseling bill is due the end of the month and after I miss that things should really get fun. My lawyer said to go ahead and give his name and number and even gave us a script to say but I havent worked up the guts to do it yet.

Thanks for listening!
    Filed: 3/12/08
    341 Meeting: 4/11/08
    Last day to oppose: 6/10/08

Today was the first time I told the creditors to call my lawyer. The perosn on teh phone said no problem and they will stop calling. I would give them teh lawyers info so you do not have to worry as much about answering you're phone.
    Chp 7 Filled 2-21-08
    341 Hearing 3-24-08

Comment

If you have an answering machine, now is the time to use it and screen your calls.
      If you do get calls, give them your attorneys # and tell them to talk to him......
      The calls may happen for a few days, but once your case is filed, they will stop..............court ordered....

Just be patient......
      Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

I was suprised how fast they started calling too! Some of them would call 10x a day when we were only 2-3 weeks late. The phone never stopped ringing! I endured this for six months and then we retained a lawyer 2 weeks ago. I've given our lawyers name and number to 5 of our 8 creditors and the phone isn't ringing as much now. I think once you actually retain a lawyer, they know that they don't have much chance of getting payment from you. The collection agency from Discover keeps trying to get us to settle and tells me the most ridiculous things. She said if I file for BK after a creditor sues, I'll be held in content of court. I think she meant contempt, but I'm not sure. I said, "wow, I'll have to check with my lawyer on that tomorrow." Then she says, "I don't know if its true, thats just what I heard." She went on to explain that if someone kills someone and then checks themselves into a mental hospital the next day, that would be content of court. It was really a bizarre conversation. I won't miss these collectors when we actually file next month. I'm waiting on my tax refund to finish paying the lawyer fees and I already e-filed so that should only be a few weeks.

It's a frustrating thing to talk to a collector so I'd advise just ignoring the calls, turning the ringer off and definitely invest in caller ID!

Comment

*laugh*

Thanks for posting that, Lindsay. I got a good chuckle out of it. If I'm half as "content" of court as your collector says I should be, I guess I'd be a very happy woman.
          Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

That is funny. In "content of court". I do hope the court is "content" with me, that would have been my answer. When I told NCO that I could not pay and was filing BK the representative yelled at me "fine we will have a bailif serve you". I was laughing thinking.....should I tell him or not so he doesn't keep making the same mistake.....process servers serve papers here, not balifs.
            Filed!!04/23/2008[X] 341 5/27/2008[X]Converted to asset case 5/26/2008 [X]
            DISCHARGE 08/12/2008[X]
            Converted to NO Asset case 12/15/2008[X]
            Closed 12/16/2008 [X]:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

We are definitely keeping track off all of the interesting things that are being said. Once you mention the lawyer though, they get all flustered. Hopefully in a few months we will be able to look back through the calls and get a good laugh out of it.
              Filed: 3/12/08
              341 Meeting: 4/11/08
              Last day to oppose: 6/10/08

Comment

Contrary to everyone's advice, I answered calls whenever I could. I was good about not giving out any new information and good at explaining why we were behind. We expected a flood of calls but the calls ranged from managable to days with no calls at all. I'm glad we chose to talk to them but I also understand why the advice generally says to aviod the calls.

The pattern I saw was that they really needed to talk to you and TRY to collect. As long as I talked to them and let them try, they would leave me alone for days or even weeks.

My philosophy was that they really need to feel like they're trying to accomplish something and avoiding them makes them try harder.

Remember, they use auto-dialers and they program them to call you as often as they like. Once you talk to someone you get taken off of the auto-dialer for a while.
                Last edited by Keebler; 01-25-2008, 08:46 PM.
                Discharged November 2008 100 days after filing no-asset Chapter 7. We intended to let a two-year-old vehicle go back to the bank and reaffirm an inexpensive ten-year-old SUV and our home mortgage. In the end we surrendered ALL of our vehicles and reaffirmed NOTHING. We'll "ride through" our mortgage after the court ruled it an undue hardship.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X