What do I do with this 1 creditor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MomIcantFindmy View Post
    Sorry, it depends on the state. My mistake. In the state we lived in last (Florida) the OC was required to follow FDCPA. Here is a listing of the states requiring OC's to follow FDCPA.

California, Washington D.C., Florida, Iowa, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.

Hope that helps.
    Could you give me the source of this info ?

I live in NY and while NY has some limited consumer protection laws for OC's I don't believe there's any requirement to follow FDCPA.

Sorry to be a pain but I'd like to be able to quote the Act or law tying FDCPA to NY in a bunch of letters I'll be sending to OC's.

Thanks
    It's not what we have in our lives, but who we have in our lives and the quality of those relationships.

Comment

This should get you started. I've got to pick up my daughter from school but keep looking through the Attorney General's website. I will keep looking up law when I get home.

This begs the question though. Why do you need to send out so many letters? Just ignore the calls till you file. They do have a right to attempt to collect the debt however, they must follow the law while doing so. Send the letters as a cease and desist. Then file.

Good luck and congratz on the Giants!
      Filed!!04/23/2008[X] 341 5/27/2008[X]Converted to asset case 5/26/2008 [X]
      DISCHARGE 08/12/2008[X]
      Converted to NO Asset case 12/15/2008[X]
      Closed 12/16/2008 [X]:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Change your phone number and keep changing it when they get it again.

Comment

Originally posted by bmcmull View Post
          Change your phone number and keep changing it when they get it again.
          Thats one dumb idea are you aware that changing your number cost about 35 dollar a time and its not worth missing important calls or wasting time to call all your friends and family to give them the new number PLUS that would'nt solve The creditor calling the husbands job or the issue at hand.
          Please think before you post....
          Last edited by aachudneymiles; 02-05-2008, 04:30 PM.
          *Filed Chp 7 bk 11/13/07 PRO SE :yahoo::yahoo:[x]
          *Last day to Objection 02/19/2008 :yahoo: [x]
          *DISCHARGED 2/25/08!!:cry::yahoo: CLOSED 2/29/08
          TransUnion 538 Experian 519 Equifax 531

Comment

Best friend in the world is the "answering machine"..........let it be your voice and your ears............

Only talk to whoever you want too...........

LET THE SCREENING BEGIN....................
            Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

Originally posted by MomIcantFindmy View Post
              This should get you started. I've got to pick up my daughter from school but keep looking through the Attorney General's website. I will keep looking up law when I get home.

This begs the question though. Why do you need to send out so many letters? Just ignore the calls till you file. They do have a right to attempt to collect the debt however, they must follow the law while doing so. Send the letters as a cease and desist. Then file.

Good luck and congratz on the Giants!
              I've read through this already. The first link is NYC and doesn't apply to me in upstate NY. I'm pretty sure there isn't any requirement for OCs to follow FDCPA in NY.

Thanks anyway.
              It's not what we have in our lives, but who we have in our lives and the quality of those relationships.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X