Dealing with collections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing with collections

My question is, how do you handle collection calls until you actually file. I got 6 phone calls from WAMU today. Saw a funny number on caller ID but didn't answer until the 6th call. The lady tried will all she could to collect from me. It just kept telling her I'd send a payment as soon as I could. The kicker is I'm 6 days late! Can I do anything about this or should I expect that many calls a day for the next 3 months?

Help!

Expect it. Did you hire an attorney yet? Is there a reason you're waiting? If you hired an attorney, give them HIS number. If not, change your voicemail and make sure you identify yourself on it so they don't call employers, friends, family or neighbors and let the voicemail pick it up each time. If you don't answer it, you won't get charged for the call either.
    Filed: October 1, 2007 341: December 10, 2007
    CONFIRMED: December 10, 2007
    Payment: $825 / Mo. for 5 Years-29 MONTHS OF Pmts Down 23 to go!

Comment

We have talked to an attorney and he wants all our information sent to him then we'll have a meeting. So haven't officially retained him. We plan to get it too him next week it's just a matter of collecting a lot of data.

I'm confused why someone is swearing at me in the previous post?

Comment

Originally posted by andileigh View Post
        We have talked to an attorney and he wants all our information sent to him then we'll have a meeting. So haven't officially retained him. We plan to get it too him next week it's just a matter of collecting a lot of data.

I'm confused why someone is swearing at me in the previous post?

Andileigh...don't worry about it...that poster was just a troll seeking attention and was replying to numerous posts in that manner. Our gracious mods have removed him and his posts.

Carry on,

ep
        California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

Hi Andileigh - yep, just expect these calls to come in hard and fast. Best thing to do is if you don't recognize the number - don't answer.

My creditors only have my work number and they call all day long. (something to remember someday if I ever get credit - do not give out my work number ever!) Luckily I am able to differentiate between business calls and creditor calls on the caller id so I just don't answer their calls. I'm not about to have a discussion with them at my place of business about why I am unable to pay. And luckily I'm in a situation where I can let my calls go to voicemail if need be.

So yes - until you file, they will be calling you. Don't let it rattle you. I stopped paying in Jan....and will be filing soon. Many people on here have gone many months without seeing any adverse actions by their cc companies, just the calls.
          Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
          341 July 1, 2008
          Discharged September 4, 2008
          Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

Comment

And, check your state laws. Some states, including mine (I live in Oregon) treat original creditors no differently than collection agencies when it comes to fair debt collection actions. In my state, I request that they do not call me at work and inform them of my state laws. I also carefully explain that the call has been recorded. This works better or as good as a cease and desist letter in my state. It could also be that I work for a state agency and when they call me at work, I tell them they are calling a state agency and I don't accept personal calls. The other day some incoherent "non-English speaking" person/ratfink called me at work, and I told him to hang on as I needed to get it clearly written down what his name, address, and phone number were. I then quickly explained I had recorded teh call and was calling the state AG's office to report his actions. The guy started to apologize all over the place and then hung up. My phones at home and work are very quiet now. I have a home phone number, but no home phone. My home phone number rings into a voice mail. I do have a cell phone that I use for everyday communication. I'm a bit lucky because all my original credit cards are from applications at least 8 years old. They would have no current phone numbers of work, home, or relatives/friends. My credit reports are ages behind when it comes to addresses, etc. All three current credit reporting bureaus show three different addresses, none of which is currently correct. I also have a private mailbox with a street address. Make it hard for them to get info from you, and I believe they tend to back off for easier prey. Again, check your state civil laws/statutes and use them in your favor.

Comment

Thanks for the support. It just blew me away to get 6 calls in one day and I'm only 6 days late. I know it will be over sooner than I know it. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for the support. It just blew me away to get 6 calls in one day and I'm only 6 days late. I know it will be over sooner than I know it. Thanks.
                That's pretty normal. It's just the original creditor reminding you that you missed a payment. Not really a collections call per se...mostly just a "hey did you forget to put the check in the mail?" call. It is normal for them to call that many times if you don't answer, and they will almost never leave a message.
                Oct 9, 2007 - Filed my Chapter 13! Scores: 527/509/528
                Jan 1, 2009 - Sent in my last payment! Scores: 635/628/585!
                Feb 11, 2009 - DISCHARGED & CLOSED!
                I AM NOT A LAWYER. ANYTHING I SAY IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE.

Comment

Wamu is the worst! They farm out thier collections and for about a month or so, everyday they would call and it was always people from India i'm guessing and most of the time you could not understand what they were saying and they would get rattled when i kept telling them that i could not understand them because of thier acent, The last time it happened, I told them "Sorry, Dont understand your language" Call back with an "American" voice. Low and behold, it's been clear speaking people ever since.....

Good luck.........
                  Filed August 15th 2008
                  Discharged:12/08/2008
                  Closed: 2/23/2009

Comment

They've been calling all day today again. This time caller ID said it was a wireless caller from a area code I didn't recognize. After about the 5th time I did answer. Just told them again I'd send payment when I could and thanked them for calling. It just gets me so upset. Boy are they sneaky!!

Comment

They've been calling all day today again. This time caller ID said it was a wireless caller from a area code I didn't recognize. After about the 5th time I did answer. Just told them again I'd send payment when I could and thanked them for calling. It just gets me so upset. Boy are they sneaky!!
                      Yep, Want the money...........

Wamu for a while was callin 2-5 times a day, A DAY! They started this game where i would say, Hi, yea, I just talked to you guys about an hour ago, They would ah, Nope wasn't me? So i would oh, ok, what ever, then they would start there shpeal. So the last call i got from them, I told them, Im only talking to you once a day. So when they mentioned Wamu, I say sorry, you have exceeded your call alotment to this number, Please try again tomorrow.......Click! Took about a week and then it was once a day.........
                      Filed August 15th 2008
                      Discharged:12/08/2008
                      Closed: 2/23/2009

Comment

I feel your pain. My sister and I live together and she is doing a bk right now (not filed yet). On my day off there were (no joke) over 70 calls for the 8am-10pm. Only 5 creditors. Only one leaves and automated message. All the rest are hang ups. We don't answer calls (prescreen). We shut off the ringer. And If we hear anyone we know on the machine we pick up. Treehugger has a good point. Good luck until you finally get it filed.
                        Get copy of Bankruptcy Records

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X