My Experience Last Week With a CC Collector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Experience Last Week With a CC Collector

After months of avoiding calls, by accident I answered a call from one of the cc companies I owe on.

I have to say - it wasn't a bad experience. Uncomfortable yes. But not like the horror stories I've heard.

He asked about what what going on in my life after having been a steller customer for years. I didn't divulge too much. Just that circumstances had changed for me and right now my priority is keeping a roof over my head & food on the table.

During the course of the call he offered me 2 deals. The first one not so generous. The second one was a substantial deal (less than 1/4 of what I owed). He said he was offering it to me to try to help me save my good standing, and also because it is the amount they'd sell the debt for if they have to sell.

I thanked him and told him that I don't have any disposal income or hidden assets. He suggested ways for me to get some $$$ - such as borrowing against my 401k which I would never do, or selling my car and buying down....ect. He also said if I were going to file bk, to try to do it before 6 mos, so the debt wouldn't show up 2x on my credit report (here I guess he meant if it were sold)....not that I really care about that. He also suggested to go to credit counseling before I did something as drastic as bk. Because they might see something I'm not seeing. Fat chance on that - but I told him I would look into it even though I'm way beyond that point - being on the eve of filing.

All in all, the call didn't kill me and gave me a good idea on where they stand in respect to writing off, selling ect. And strangely enough, it relieved some stress I had due to pre-conceived notions on the process and these calls.
    Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
    341 July 1, 2008
    Discharged September 4, 2008
    Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

How many months has it actually been that you have been avoiding them?
    Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

4-5 mos
      341 July 1, 2008

Comment

that's a good while! I've been avoiding my calls for a while too. Actually, one of the CC co's stopped calling finally for a couple of days. The account is probably in process of getting sold to a 3rd party.

Comment

The few calls I received the person calling was pretty nice and wished me luck. I even had one said they were sorry to hear about me having to file C7 and hoped things worked out for me.

Comment

It must not have been Amex. That guy basically told me that I should kill myself (seriously)and that I wasn't worth the air I breathed. He told me they would take everything I had and insinuated that I might go to jail(then I laughed in his face and reminded him that I live in Texas.) That was the last time I ever spoke to one. I am glad your experience was better.
            Filed 4-21-2008
            7/16- DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

we live in missouri, had a call from collection co. USP in Florida on 5/22 told me I had to pay or else legal action. told him i could not help so he had to do what he had to do, told him to have a nice day and hung up. next day he called a neighbor across street from me and left message on their recorder saying there was a complaint against me and if I did not response within 24 hours they were taking legal action. any thoughts on this action?

Comment

Back in 1996 I had one collection agency call me every day. The same woman would speak and she would use the F word, the S word and would tell me I should kill myself. I told her to stop calling. She kept on calling, so the last time she called, I told her that's it, and I hung up. The collection agency was about 15 minutes away. I went to the collection agency and demanded to speak to the manager. A manager showed up and I noticed there were several people peeking around the corners. I told him what she had been doing and I wanted it stopped. Never did get another call from her.
                Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Originally posted by BigJohn View Post
                  Back in 1996 I had one collection agency call me every day. The same woman would speak and she would use the F word, the S word and would tell me I should kill myself. I told her to stop calling. She kept on calling, so the last time she called, I told her that's it, and I hung up. The collection agency was about 15 minutes away. I went to the collection agency and demanded to speak to the manager. A manager showed up and I noticed there were several people peeking around the corners. I told him what she had been doing and I wanted it stopped. Never did get another call from her.
                  OMG! You should have recorded that!! That's terrible. So far I haven't bared that foul language yet but if I do, it's dust off the tape recorder!

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
                    The few calls I received the person calling was pretty nice and wished me luck. I even had one said they were sorry to hear about me having to file C7 and hoped things worked out for me.
                    That has been my experience. We had great credit before we stopped paying. At first we ignored the calls, finally when we got brave enough to talk to them, it really wasn't so bad. All were pleasant, most understood and lots wished us luck. Some even said that our circumstance is why they don't have a cc. It felt good to finally tell them the truth. The calls did stop once we gave our attorneys name and number. And they do call the attorney.
                    Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

What exactly happens after they contact the attorney? Do they stop and wait until we file? I ask because I just started sending in my payments and I'm already beginning to get calls.
                      more$moreProbs

Comment

We do have Amex and haven't had a call from them.
                        I wish someone would call my house with some BS like that, they wouldn't like the outcome of the phone call.

Originally posted by sisterfunkhaus View Post
                        It must not have been Amex. That guy basically told me that I should kill myself (seriously)and that I wasn't worth the air I breathed. He told me they would take everything I had and insinuated that I might go to jail(then I laughed in his face and reminded him that I live in Texas.) That was the last time I ever spoke to one. I am glad your experience was better.

Comment

When creditors call me now, I tell them he will be back late tonite. When they ask for my wife, I tell them I don't think he has a wife.

Comment

Amex has been the fastest to move my account to a collection agency and report doing so on my cr. Just fyi for those folks wondering who will sue them first.
                            341 July 1, 2008

Comment

yea... jay jay...

I agree with big john... definitely record those messages. you can totally sue. If a creditor ever uses foul language against you that definitely means they are breaking the law against the FDCPA and they definitely screwed their collections company that they work for. Collections agencies get sued for for stuff like that all the time. You just need to find a good debt collection harassment lawyer. They best ones ive found are at www.consumercounselgroup.com.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X