What to tell Creditors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to tell Creditors?

I have recently been unable to make cc payments and after being 7 days late, I am now receiving calls?

I have told them I cannot pay them right now, have not mentioned BK but that's in the cards sooner rather than later.

Is there something I should or should not tell them right now? I do not plan on filing until March or later. I intend to be truthful and firm and not give them any more info than they already have (ie - phone numbers).

I just didn't know if there was something that you absolutely should not tell them.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

If your filing in March thats pretty soon, I wouldnt say s--t to them ...dont answer save yourself some aggrivation

Comment

If you're filing in March or April, I agree with the previous poster, don't talk to them at all! Nothing is going to happen in 2 or 3 months with these creditors that you need to worry about.
      BKForum Blog: The Journey

sigpic

Comment

thanks for the replies.............I'll zip it up and see what happens

Comment

Well, you basically have three choices:
          (a) Take the calls and tell them you can't pay right now. They will call back every three to five days to check up on you. You have to make sure you don't do anything stupid like cave in and give them a payment
          (b) Refuse to take the calls and/or hang up on them. Their autodialers will call back incessantly until you take the call. They will try other numbers you have given them or they can get off your credit report to try and "locate" you. I've tried this and with 30+ card accounts it does not work.
          (c) Change your phone number. Again they will try to "locate" you which could lead to calls to work, neighbors, other phone numbers on your credit report. Similar to (b) but the phone does not ring.

There may be other "creative" possibilities but these are the mainstream ones.

P.S. You will notice that every phone call begins with an attempt to verify that they are talking to the person who they are looking for. Probably the best strategy for (a) is to agree that you are the account holder and then hang up on them. I haven't explicitly tried this so I'm not sure if it triggers an immediate call back or whether it buys you a few days of quiet. Maybe I'll try it today.
          filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X