top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does this mean...Amex to close my account?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does this mean...Amex to close my account?

Okay, I am around 40 days late on my AE bill and I actually answered their call today to say I would pay half of my minimum due on the 28th of this month. I actually tried to give them a date of April 3, but the lady I spoke with said "By that time we will most likely have closed the account." I asked her what exactly she meant but could not understand her broken English. She made it sound like the account would be closed and that from then on I would only be allowed to pay off the balance, not make additional payments. I asked her if this meant they would be sending it off to collections or something but she seemed to think this wasn't the same thing.

Anyone have any ideas on this? I am terrified from what I've read online that they could sue me as early as 60 days late...do you think this is what she meant? If so, how long can I put off a judgment? I want to file ch. 7 in September of this year...

It means you will not be able to use the account again - it is closed.
    Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Wow, I'm relieved. I'm not planning on using it anyway since I'm hopefully going to be filing ch7 in the next five months...thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by lalap123 View Post
        Wow, I'm relieved. I'm not planning on using it anyway since I'm hopefully going to be filing ch7 in the next five months...thanks.
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Yep, I went 60 days past due with US Bank and they closed the account. Why on earth would I want to work with someone who closed an account? They made this decision, not me. They still call 2 - 4 times per day, and sometimes I answer the phone to "chew the fat" with them, but they always have the same mantra. They always have the same information related to how they will be reporting this to the credit agencies (golly, I could actually slip below 510.) I guess they don't read/watch the news. If the OC is still calling you, you have many days before any legal action will probably be taken against you. Chat it up with them, I say! It's their dime.

Comment

Take your pick at things to be terrified about:

Terrified at being cast out from "membership" for life? Amex never forgives or forgets being Included in Bankruptcy. But you can still get a corporate card through your employer.

Terrified at losing the precious "member since"? Member since 81 didn't stop them from cutting my wife's card limits from $23,000 to $500 when the whole credit crisis was just getting started.

Terrified at the daisy chain of moron brain-dead CA's that Amex will march your account through en route to a charge off? That's what C&D letters are made for.

I won't even go into their various lies and redlining-type behavior over the years.

Conclusion: Nothing to be terrified about.
            filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Originally posted by catleg View Post
              Terrified at being cast out from "membership" for life? Amex never forgives or forgets being Included in Bankruptcy. But you can still get a corporate card through your employer.

Is this true, can you still get an Amex corporate card through your employer?

This is the one thing that I am scared of. I could take a promotion at my co which unfortunately uses Amex for travel and corporate card but I'm afraid to apply because what if I get the job then denied form fing AMEX?

Just when it seems things are going good I have this black cloud and I didnt even bk amex, have never had them.
              pa308 (equifax fico 6-21 471) 594 on 3-09 671 7-09
              filed ch7 6-12
              341 7-25
              Discharged and closed 9-24

Comment

You can get a corporate card through your employer. You may have to jump through a few more hoops, but usually no big deal.
                Filed - 12/24/08 (Merry Christmas Credit Cards!)
                341 - 2/5/09
                Confirmation - 3/13/09....Happy Dance!!!

Comment

Don't be so sure. The department/division I represent uses department/division credit cards. They supposedly submit every authorized user's SSN to the bank underwriting the card. I don't think for a minute that in my case the bank (AMEX, BOA,Chase,etc) would authorize me. LOL I just have the secretarial staff put items and charges under their authorized user name. But then I'm already employed and most of my coworkers know my situation.

yeah, go ahead put my name on the card. I'll spell it for you: d-e-a-d-b-e-a-t. Just kidding. Its probably only a matter of time before the credit-crunch affects authorized user names on corporate/government credit cards. Just a guess...

Comment

Originally posted by BigBoy2U
                    The last thing in my life I would worry about is not applying to get a job that gave me an Amex because I am was worried Amex might turn me down. So what? An employer that is going to give you an Amex card as part of your job is also going to run your credit before you get the job.
                    I already work in the organization so a credit run doesnt worry me at this point as much as applying for a promotion and getting the job and then amex denial.
                    filed ch7 6-12
                    341 7-25

Comment

Originally posted by BigBoy2U
                      Well I am just saying, I wouldn't worry about it. Why let it hold you back since you have no way of knowing outcome unless you try. So maybe you can't get a card doesn't mean you can't still get the job.
                      I do have a capital one card that I got after BK that I could use for the travel and when the co reimburses me pay it.

I was review the travel and entertainment part of our hr site and it pretty specifically says that we are to use amex corporate card but maybe i'm overthinking it.

I just think it would be totally embarassing if I got the job then my manager (who I work with now) is advised that my AMEX was denied.

Maybe this is the price I pay for bk7. I will be expected to move up and am highly thought of in the firm. If I applied for the promotions I feel 100% I would get it.
                      filed ch7 6-12
                      341 7-25

Comment

Originally posted by pa308 View Post
                        I do have a capital one card that I got after BK that I could use for the travel and when the co reimburses me pay it.

I was review the travel and entertainment part of our hr site and it pretty specifically says that we are to use amex corporate card but maybe i'm overthinking it.

I just think it would be totally embarassing if I got the job then my manager (who I work with now) is advised that my AMEX was denied.

Maybe this is the price I pay for bk7. I will be expected to move up and am highly thought of in the firm. If I applied for the promotions I feel 100% I would get it.
                        I just wanted to give an update, maybe it can help someone out and thats what this site is all about.

I did get the promotion and the Corporate American Express. I must say when they had me sign the card app until I got the Card in the mail my stomach was a hornets nest and I was as grumpy as a SOB.

Life is good and getting better.
                        filed ch7 6-12
                        341 7-25

Comment

Amex closes cards around 60 days past due. They did the same to me.

Typically after this- they will then send you letters saying "if you pay the balance in full - we'll give you another Amex card". Sounds like a great deal, right?

I got about 5 of those letters..

Originally posted by lalap123 View Post
                          Okay, I am around 40 days late on my AE bill and I actually answered their call today to say I would pay half of my minimum due on the 28th of this month. I actually tried to give them a date of April 3, but the lady I spoke with said "By that time we will most likely have closed the account." I asked her what exactly she meant but could not understand her broken English. She made it sound like the account would be closed and that from then on I would only be allowed to pay off the balance, not make additional payments. I asked her if this meant they would be sending it off to collections or something but she seemed to think this wasn't the same thing.

Anyone have any ideas on this? I am terrified from what I've read online that they could sue me as early as 60 days late...do you think this is what she meant? If so, how long can I put off a judgment? I want to file ch. 7 in September of this year...
                          Filed Pro Se: 10/16/2009
                          341 Scheduled: 11/23/2009
                          Last Day for Objections: 1/22/2010
                          Discharged: 1/28/2010

Comment

I dont think they would wait that long.
                            Discharged- pro se- chapter 7~!

Comment

My company has AMEX as the corp card as well, and I worried when I filed C7 because my AMEX balance was up there and it just makes sense they would search for (and potentially close) other accounts by name & SSN when notified. I spoke to my HR department proactively and was told my personal BK would have no affect on my corporate account. So far, everything is still fine with my corp AMEX though I can't help holding my breath just a little everytime I travel and use it...
                              Stopped paying CCs 1/1/2009
                              Filed 10/2/2009 341 11/8/2009
                              Discharged! 1/13/2009 I can hardly believe it....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X