debiting a dead account..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

debiting a dead account..

ive heard stories here about being charged fees for debits on closed accounts... how is that possible?

i was thinking of getting my bank to close my current account and give me a new account number, to protect from CC companies that ive had auto pay in the past..

am i not exempt from a CC agent trying to debit my old number?
    "it looks like i picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue"! [McKroskey, airplane]

As long as you have cleared out your money and don't have an overdraft line of credit, the worst that can happen is the bank will ding you $35 or whatever their NSF penalty fee is. It's probably best to switch banks if that happens.
    filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

BOA and AMEX continued to debit my account even though I had canceled the automatic draft. After returning those payments as unauthorized I closed that account and opened a new one. Since then no problems.

I think it's up to individual banks whether or not they'll allow debits after the account is closed. I remember a bank years ago that did, and charged me NSF fees each time. I don't remember what bank it was but it was one of the big ones. My current bank is a small, local outfit. After I closed the account I had two debits come in, one that I had forgotten to switch to the new account and one that was unauthorized. In both cases my bank called me and asked what to do.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X