Credit Card Reward Point Collection/ Objection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by catleg View Post
    You definitely want to use up all these kind of points, such as Citi Thank You points, Amex membership rewards. They won't survive you defaulting on the underlying account yet they're generally not transferable so the trustee can't take them either. On the other hand, once points post to an actual airline or hotel program, you can just leave those in place.
    And on the other, other hand...

Since you know you're going to file, why would you knowingly seek to gain at the company's loss when it's entirely avoidable and completely unnecessary?

I really am starting to think that I completely misunderstand the circumstances that people are discussing here because I come to such an opposite conclusion. Are people posting here about getting the credit card companies to send them money/gift cards/airline miles/merchandise when they already intend to file bk? Am I completely mistaken in knowing that these things are a further cost to the creditors (even at a discount a B&N card still costs something)?
    Last edited by BornAgain; 04-28-2009, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Let me make one thing clear - I never intended to file. I went on with my life with the assumption that I would:

1) finally get the raise I had been promised, but never saw because of wage freezes with my company
      2) finally get to the position I had been promised, but again never saw because of hiring/promotion freezes within my company.

The fact that I got the iTunes card was a surprise and I asked my lawyer before I even scratched off the back and redeemed it if I could keep it. He advised I could and worse comes to worse, if they objected, pay them the $25.

So please, tell me that I was flaunting something that was most likely going to come to me anyway because I'd paid my bill up until the point where I knew I would have to file.
      sigpic
      Filed - 11/19/08;341 - 12/22/08
      Discharged - 2/23/09 ;Closed - 3/6/09
      Got my first post BK credit line - car loan - 4/9/09 On my way to recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by BornAgain View Post

Since you know you're going to file, why would you knowingly seek to gain at the company's loss when it's entirely avoidable and completely unnecessary?

I really am starting to think that I completely misunderstand the circumstances that people are discussing here because I come to such an opposite conclusion. Are people posting here about getting the credit card companies to send them money/gift cards/airline miles/merchandise when they already intend to file bk? Am I completely mistaken in knowing that these things are a further cost to the creditors (even at a discount a B&N card still costs something)?
        You seem to be implying something about morality here, yet a few posts ago you talked about charging the Nolo book on a credit card that you included in bankruptcy.

If you somehow think things are all wine and roses here on the debtors side of the street, I'd say you're mistaken.

In fact I'm pretty outraged that these banks are giant corporations that have the power to shape the laws as it suits them, and then they screw up cause they still managed to blow it, and then they cry to the government for relief, and get it.

So if you think I'm going to feel bad for cashing in my Citi thank you points, get serious.
        filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

I seriously doubt it costs them anything. And even if it did, don't you think you would have paid for it by now with the outrageous interest they slam people with. I don't feel sorry for these companies at all and if people are smart enough to cash in their points, then more power to them. I didn't even think about it and now that I'm two months past due, they won't let me log in to redeem my rewards. They are "rewards" after all. Something they entice people to their cards with. Get all these points every time you use the card. They are swimming in this stuff that businesses probably give them free just for the advertising. Everything is a big scam. And as we already know they get their money from us one way or the other. The way I see it they've already taken enough money from me via my tax dollars to pay my debts, so I don't feel bad about filing bankruptcy and I certainly wouldn't feel bad about cashing in my rewards points if I could. Only wish I'd have thought of it.
          Lying awake at night...
          Waiting to file...
          Roughly $34,000 in credit card debt

Comment

Yes
            Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Yeah, if I had redeemed the points before I made the comittment to file I wouldn't shed a tear for the credit card companies either. (I bought the Nolo book before I had determined if bk was the right choice.) I'll shed no tears for them in any case.

But I do have to live with the character choices I make and I choose not to grab a little bit more for myself on my way out the door, so to speak.

I'll not try to dissuade anyone from their rationalizations any longer.

Thanks and best to all!

Comment

Are people posting here about getting the credit card companies to send them money/gift cards/airline miles/merchandise when they already intend to file bk?
                Originally posted by albacore44 View Post
                Yes
                Thanks. That's what I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by DownNotOut View Post
                  [rambling rationalizations]
                  I certainly wouldn't feel bad about cashing in my rewards points if I could. Only wish I'd have thought of it.
                  You go girl!

Comment

I cashed in over 500k AMEX points and no one said a thing
                    Unfortunately, I lost 180k points because I waited a day late to cash those in. AMEX had already restricted my rewards access for non-payment on the account

Comment

BigBoy, I am entirely reminded of a scene in My Fair Lady

PICKERING: Have you no morals, man?

DOOLITTLE [unabashed]: Cant afford them, Governor. Neither could you if you was as poor as me.

Great movie.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X