Being sued and filing chapter 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being sued and filing chapter 7

I have 9 or 10 credit card debts I stopped paying a little over a year ago. They total approx $53,000.
    They all say charged off, written off, purchased by another lender, collections, etc.

I recently got served a summons for one. Not the highest, not the lowest.

I see my only way out is to file chapter 7 which I am going to make some phone calls about this week.

My biggest fear is being served again and having to settle. I cannot afford to pay each one off by lawsuit.

The problem is I have some asset transfers that might effect filing chapter 7 so I may have to wait.

Is there a possibility that I can wait until I get served again, then file?

How long ago was your asset transfers? How much money are we talking?
    Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Originally posted by BigJohn View Post
      How long ago was your asset transfers? How much money are we talking?
      I gave my dad a car in exchange for money to cover the lawsuit. Basically he would give me a bank card and a few blank checks to cover it up to the total amount. I wrote gift on the title of a car with a fair market value price of about $5k-$6k
      Thats the problem as I see it, giving an asset away. I was too freaked out by a lawsuit that it seemed like the thing to do to get the money to take care of it.
      Then it occured to me that I might settle this one and get served the day I get home, and not be able to afford another one. At that point I thought I should file chapter 7 so I read up about it and "gifting" assets is a big problem. If it weren't for this I'd be ready to go with filing.

Now about a week after this transaction I sold my other car to my ex girlfriend in a different state. 100% legitamate sale. I'm not positive on that either because I lived with her for 6 months at the same address. I had to transfer my title and all to that state for the job I had there.

Basically when she transfers the title the only difference will be the name.

I'm obviously very confused and freaked out. These transfers took place within the last 4 weeks.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X