top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exemptions for garnishment in California?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exemptions for garnishment in California?

Does anyone know or know where I can find the exemptions for garnishment in California. I know it is a max of 25% and only 1 creditor at a time, but that's all I know right now. I'd like more info on what can be done in California.
    --------------------------------------------
    As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness. ~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Sl garnishments are 15%, other creditors would only get 10%, 25% cap, unless it is child support, which I believe can garnish up to 50%

Comment

That's my take. However, it can take 270 days to ?? for the DOE to move toward wage garnishment of SL's. Once the student loan garnishment comes into effect, it remains on top of the pile, and other garnishments are limited to the remaining 10%. Perhaps this differs from state-to-state, but I think this would be the worst case under federal law and states could not reduce your federally protected rights. You mentioned this on another post, and my advice is to get some more opinions from other BK attorneys.

Comment

This information is very helpful! I will be meeting with another attorney this week. Thank you so much.
          --------------------------------------------
          As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness. ~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X