Chase--What to make of this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chase--What to make of this?

I have three Chase accounts. Two have always been with Chase, and one was originally Providian, then WAMU, and now Chase. All three are way past due, with collection calls coming all the time. Usually I don't answer, but google the number so I know who it is.

Lately, I've been getting repeated calls from 000-000-0000! Today I finally answered it because I was curious who it was. Turns out it's another Chase collector....a guy that I'm guessing is from India, named "Andrew". He started out by letting me know that my call was being recorded for quality purposes, so I said, "No problem...I'm recording the call as well." From that point, he told me that he could no longer speak to me if I'm recording the call, and he suggested that I stop the recording. He said their calls are randomly recorded for quality purposes, and I said I understand that, and I'm recording it because I also wanted a record of what was said in case I didn't take accurate notes. He still demanded that I stop recording. I told him it wasn't fair for him to be able to record, but I couldn't, and he repeated that he could not discuss the account with me as long as I was recording the call. So I said, "Well, that's your choice then!", wished him a good day, and hung up.

What's up with that?! Shouldn't I have the right to record calls as long as I let the caller know they are being recorded? I could always just not tell them, but I know in some states you can't use a recording in court if the other party doesn't know they are being recorded. I'd hate to miss out on a chance to get them in trouble for harassment because I didn't inform them up front! LOL....

But seriously, am I doing something wrong by recording the calls? I can't imagine how I would be, but one never knows...

Thanks!

No, you are doing the right thing by recording the calls and letting them know right up front that you are recording the call.

Makes you wonder why a collection agency would have a policy in place that essentially says the collector can not continue to talk to you when you record the calls! They must know they violate the FDCPA and other statutes and they don't want you to have any evidence of it for future actions. LOL Keep recording. You are doing the right thing.
    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Apparently Iowa is a one party consent state, so really, I don't even have to tell them I'm recording them, right? Although it was really fun to agitate this guy....

Comment

Just keep this up and they will never have a chance to get around to why they are calling...which is to harass you into paying your bill!
        I think once they tell me the call is being recorded, I will ask them to hold while I turn on my recording device as well. Unfortunately, they will have to terminate the call...oh darn!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X