top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do collection agencies know if you call them back after not answering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do collection agencies know if you call them back after not answering?

The reason I ask is that they called, and we didn't answer of course. I called it back to see who the hell it was, and hang up after hearing their name.

Then, 30 minutes later, they end up calling again and we dont answer once again.

First thing that popped in my head, they must have some type of intricate telephone system that will forward that I called, back to the same dept that just made the first attempt.

These guys are rather persistent f_____s, I will be sending the DV out tommorow because of this.

FINANCIAL ASSET MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS

try *67 then the phone # from your cell phone. thats what i do. it blocks your #.
    Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

I usually just google the phone number while it is ringing LOL!

Comment

I did exactly that, everyday, after work, I called every number that came up, all 800 numbers...., I did it then just as soon as I got home, I told them who I was they knew the number (caller id) I am sure. I talked to them, they would tell me who they were collecting for, I told them we are filing BK, give our attorny's name and number long before we filed. I always, answered if I was home. The calls we got were not bad, not alot either. Then again, I always talked to them. They didn't scare me, all along I knew we would file BK, it was always cc debt and after the hell I lived thru because of cc debt, I knew there was nothing more they could do to me. I took their control of my life away, and honestly it wasn't the collectors I disliked, it was who they worked for.
        Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

When you dial an 800 number(or 888,877,866) they can use ANI(Automatic Number Identification) to identify the number you are calling from. If they have the proper equipment setup your number will pop right up when you call.

You can not block ANI with *67 or anything else, they have the right to know the number you are calling from as they are the ones paying for the call.

Government agencies sometimes will have access to ANI on non-toll free lines, so no dialing *67 and pranking the FBI.

Comment

Originally posted by LuciluS View Post
            I usually just google the phone number while it is ringing LOL!
            I thought I was the only crazy one that did that!

Comment

*67 does not block your number if you are calling a toll-free number (800, 866, etc.)

My own experience suggests you answer the phone. Find out who is calling. If a CA, then you should tell them that you need something in writing (FDCPA.) Verify your name and address and request they send you writtne information. They have five days to send the written notice after initial contact (FDCPA.) They will give you a song-and-dance about how their records show they have attempted to contact you via phone. Hold your ground and demand written information. You can also tell them that you expect them to abide by the FDCPA. Once you get the dunning letter, then send them a DV and cease and desist telephone communications letter.

Comment

Originally posted by optimistic1 View Post
                These guys are rather persistent f_____s, I will be sending the DV out tommorow because of this.

FINANCIAL ASSET MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
                What is "the DV"?
                Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

debt verification letter

Comment

I think it's safe to assume that large OC's and CA's capture any and every phone number that you call them from, and if you tell them the account you're calling about then, bingo, you've updated their records for them. Thus it's helpful to have an outbound-only line that you never answer for making calls like these.
                    I have a magic jack line for this purpose that I've managed to get listed on my credit reports, though I'm not sure how exactly it got on there.
                    filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Originally posted by falken View Post
                      When you dial an 800 number(or 888,877,866) they can use ANI(Automatic Number Identification) to identify the number you are calling from. If they have the proper equipment setup your number will pop right up when you call.

You can not block ANI with *67 or anything else, they have the right to know the number you are calling from as they are the ones paying for the call.

Government agencies sometimes will have access to ANI on non-toll free lines, so no dialing *67 and pranking the FBI.
                      There are two different caller ID signals sent on the phone line. The one that can be blocked with *67, and then the other that is not blockable.

Most all collection agencies use what's called a "trap line". This is the toll free number that everyone calls back on, after "blocking their number". It's a great trick to get phone numbers from people.

If you are going to call anyone that you don't want to have your number, get you one of those cheap "burner" cell phones from Wally-World or somewhere. Use it when you want to make calls in which you don't want to be identified, and keep it turned off the rest of the time. No voice mail, no personal information, prepaid only.
                      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Another thought.... several years ago, I did business with a large company. When calling them to place my order, they always answered: Hello ****. How are you today and how can we help you.

My account was automatically pulled up on the screen by my phone number, including my name, balances, prior orders, etc. Very efficient software and that was 10+ years ago.
                        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

A police whistle or aerosol fog horn really goes a log way to shut a collection agent up in mid-sentence. Think headphones!

Comment

I cant help but talk to them and just explain stuff, but I no longer do that, now I dont answer any number I don't recognize and just wait for the dunning letter so that I DV them, I haven't even had to send a cease and desist, they are still working on the DV request.

I should have took the advice of several members on the board that suggested not answering the phone from the beginning, all it does is just increase your stress level and make you worrisome.

Comment

Originally posted by optimistic1 View Post
                              I cant help but talk to them and just explain stuff, but I no longer do that, now I dont answer any number I don't recognize and just wait for the dunning letter so that I DV them, I haven't even had to send a cease and desist, they are still working on the DV request.

I should have took the advice of several members on the board that suggested not answering the phone from the beginning, all it does is just increase your stress level and make you worrisome.
                              Yeah, thats what i'm doin I have not spoken to 1 creditor, 22 cards. however i'm having a hard time resisting answering just to play with them a bit. noticed today FIA card services (B of A ) just did a hard pull on my credit report. Hmm wonder what their lookin for.
                              Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X