Adding creditors to BK after filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding creditors to BK after filing

This is a simple question and I believe I know the answer. We received 2 doctor bills after we had filed, and I was wondering about including them in BK after the 341 is over. They are not major bills. One for $240, one for $84, both have gone to collections. The first I had been paying on, obviously not enough, they turned me in. Actually I don't really care about the collections thing. I am willing to make payments I can afford because honestly at this point their threat of what this will do to my credit kind of strikes me as funny.

Neither are big and if this is going to cost me more money for the BK, then I would just as soon pay them.

You know this bill was for an ultrasound for my 14 yr old son who had a swollen lymph node. I was scared to death. Everything came out fine, the node shrunk but it was very worrisome for us. Our insurance which cost us $200 a month for our family applied these bills towards our deductible. Our deductible is $500 per person. I guess I am sick that they paid nothing towards either of these bills. Then to top it off, you make payments, but they don't like the amount so they turn you in to collections. Sickening!

Sorry for the rant, anyway, would you include this in a BK or basically amend you BK after the 341 for such a small amount? Will this bring more attention to us and would we be better off to just pay it and forget it? I am p***** they turned us in over this, and would love to just turn it over and give them nothing, but, on the other hand why rock the boat? Am I right in my thinking?
    Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Why didn't you list them? Were they incurred pre-filing? Obviously, ask your lawyer. Not sure what an amendment costs.
    filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

If the services were used prior to filing, they are pre petion debt and dischargeable. I'd amend the petition and include them. It'll have no affect on your bk since, you're no asset anyway.

Comment

What was the date of service? If before you filed, then I would spend the extra $$ and included them in your petition.
        May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
        May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
        May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
        9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

If you want to continue using those doctors/hospitals you probably should pay them.

And for your insurance, you have to meet your deductible ($500) before they start paying 80% of the service. My insurance works the same way. You probably got a "reduced" charge though.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X