IRS Lien

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS Lien

If the IRS has 10 years to collect delinquent taxes, then why does a lien last forever? I read that an IRS lien can never be removed unless the taxes are paid in full. I thought the lien could be removed after 10 years unless it was re-issued by the IRS. Am I reading someone's bad information through too much Googling or am I just confused?
    Filed Chapter 7 (Primarily Business Expenses) 04/10/2008 FICO 468 :cry:
    341 on 05/06/08:unsure:House appraisal on day 63:blink: 07/10/2008 Discharged-Asset Case!!!:yahoo:08/09 Transu 559, Equifax 636, Experian 647
    Case Closed 07/15/2009 :D:yahoo:

I will have to double check, but actually, the lien does not "automatically" stay forever. It should be removed upon the expiration of the statute of limitations. However, like with judgments, the liens can be removed. I believe the IRS has to go through a short procedure to renew a lien after the CSED (Collection Statute Expiration Date) has expired. But, most of the time, they will not renew liens.

Comment

That clears things up thank you.
      341 on 05/06/08:unsure:House appraisal on day 63:blink: 07/10/2008 Discharged-Asset Case!!!:yahoo:08/09 Transu 559, Equifax 636, Experian 647

Comment

I reviewed it a little. The tax lien is supposed to come off at the expiration of the CSED, the tax lien cannot be enforced beyond the collection statute expiration date short of an extension of the IRS suing and getting a judicial lien.
        Last edited by HHM; 08-31-2009, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Well I sucked it up and went to the assessors office today and did an title search on my property. It was bad to say the least but not unexpected. Each taxing authority has filed some sort of lien and the last to file was the IRS which actually lists an expiration date of 2018. I made copies of everything but you're right HHM the lien notice actually has the expiration date or the date the lien must be refiled on the notice itself.

BigBoy, I hope I don't go down the same road you travelled because the only thing I own is my car and house. Of course my main concern now is to stay ahead of a levy on my paycheck by taking some sort of action to get them off my back. On the bright side, only 9 more years of this madness.

Comment

30 years ago when i started my career with the company I work for, the rage at the time was to fill out your W-2 as "exempt" because some idiot had convinced people that collection of income taxes was ilegal and unconstitutional . Well they all had a very rude awakening. Trust me............Uncle Sam will always get his money
            Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Originally posted by BigBoy2U
              Have you looked into an offer in compromise (OIC)? By the time I hired a tax attorney I let the IRS run me into the ground. I should have started with an attorney. I ended up losing my business as a result of the IRS tax problems and letting them bully me into selling assets and putting such a tight financial rope around my neck that I had no money left to expand or do anything with my business when I needed too.
              Trust me, I'm filling out the OIC paperwork as we speak. I have it drafted and will fine tune it to be turned in within the next 2 weeks. I have an enrolled agent helping me but it seems that he's helpful but I'm not hopeful they will accept the OIC judging by the approval rates they have right now.

BigBoy, what was your situation and how did the tax atty help you? Did you file an OIC and if so what happened?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X