Need Help On This One Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help On This One Please

I know someone is going to blast me for asking this but I will anyway... Just got the mail... Owe a doctors bill and they sent me to a collection agency... The letter says the usual "this is an attempt to collect a debt" stuff... Now the second paragraph reads this... "Unless you notify this office within 30 days after receiving this notice that you dispute the validity of the debt or any portion thereof, this office will assume this debt is valid. If you notify this office in writing with 30 days from receiving this notice, this office will: Obtain verification of the debt or obtain a copy of such judgment or verification. If you request this office in writing within 30 days after receiving this notice, this office will provide you with the name and address of the original creditor if different from the current creditor." What do you say when you are disputing something you know is a valid debt? Please do not tell me I should already know this because I don't! I need help and some good advice. Will most likely be filing for chapter 7 in December or January. Help. If I need to write them what the heck do I ask? Thanks. Any input will be very helpful to me!
    08-2009:Quit Paying Credit Cards
    04-2010:Hired 2nd Attorney;05-2010:Filed 7
    06-2010:341 Meeting (went very well)
    08-24-2010: Discharged; 09-02-2010 Closed!!

Originally posted by Ann View Post
    I know someone is going to blast me for asking this but I will anyway... Just got the mail... Owe a doctors bill and they sent me to a collection agency... The letter says the usual "this is an attempt to collect a debt" stuff... Now the second paragraph reads this... "Unless you notify this office within 30 days after receiving this notice that you dispute the validity of the debt or any portion thereof, this office will assume this debt is valid. If you notify this office in writing with 30 days from receiving this notice, this office will: Obtain verification of the debt or obtain a copy of such judgment or verification. If you request this office in writing within 30 days after receiving this notice, this office will provide you with the name and address of the original creditor if different from the current creditor." What do you say when you are disputing something you know is a valid debt? Please do not tell me I should already know this because I don't! I need help and some good advice. Will most likely be filing for chapter 7 in December or January. Help. If I need to write them what the heck do I ask? Thanks. Any input will be very helpful to me!
    Send them a DV. of course you know you owe the debt. your simply excercising your rights to dispute the debt. it's all a stalling tactic, but it's your right to do so. btw- that is just a standard collections letter, they have to include that verbage. I have over a dozen of them.
    Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Originally posted by albacore44 View Post
      Send them a DV. of course you know you owe the debt. your simply excercising your rights to dispute the debt. it's all a stalling tactic, but it's your right to do so. btw- that is just a standard collections letter, they have to include that verbage. I have over a dozen of them.
      If you need any more, let me know. I'll share mine with any chick as hot as you.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

If you're going to be filing in a few months, you could do what I did with all of mine: ignore them. It will likely be several months at least before they take any legal action, and you'll be in BK by then.
        Filed 10/1/2009
        341 Meeting scheduled 11/6/2009
        Last day for objections 1/5/2010

Comment

What do I state in this letter? Would anyone be willing to share with me exactly what I should say? I would appreciate it. Thank you!
          08-2009:Quit Paying Credit Cards
          04-2010:Hired 2nd Attorney;05-2010:Filed 7
          06-2010:341 Meeting (went very well)
          08-24-2010: Discharged; 09-02-2010 Closed!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ann View Post
            What do I state in this letter? Would anyone be willing to share with me exactly what I should say? I would appreciate it. Thank you!
            Do a Google search for Debt Validation letter and you'll find plenty of samples.
            Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
            "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X