There goes GE Money Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There goes GE Money Again

GE Money, the one account that I am concerned that may actually be able to file suit, get a judgment and garnish wages, before I can file BK in April, sent an odd letter today. They are alerting me that there is a potential security issue with a merchant where I used my card recently. Then they reassure me that had nothing to do with this security issue.

I haven't used the card in almost 90 days. Maybe this is a ploy to get me to answer their calls?

My attorney advised me not to answer letters as he doesn't think they will be able to get a judgment and garnish wages prior to my filing in April. So, I didn't send a DV with the last threatening letter from GE Money. This letter seems to suggest that they (creditor) may not know who has been making some of the charges on my account. Seems like a good time to respond with a DV if that is the case, just to buy time. Obviously, I have charged on the account. I don't want to lose any of my rights if I don't respond. Can that happen (losing rights, that is).

So, I ask for opinions. Maybe just sit back and follow the directions of my attorney is the track to take. I would like to avoid a lawsuit, if possible, though. Send a DV?

Well, what are the possible downsides to not responding? I assume that the account is shut down at this point anyway so what do you gain by calling? Typically you want to get a new card, account number, etc to protect against future fraud and ensure you have access to your credit line.

I suppose you could lose the right to dispute charges, but they would just be included in your filing anyway. Why not review your statements to see if anything looks suspicious?
    Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

Can you DV the original creditor?
      Take $10 billion from the government and then sue me...nice

Comment

GEMB is one we are dealing with now. They are serious about the collection.

They have hired a local attorney who has:

Sued and obtained a default judgment 2 years ago

Pursued this judgment to now

Sued for a deposition for bank account and asset information.

The deposition is supposed to be the 2nd week of December. We plan to file shortly before or after, depending on a surgery I need.

After we are no-shows for the deposition, they could (if we do not file) ask for another hearing and request a bench-warrant for arrest.

They seem willing to go the distance.

I would be wary when dealing with them

Good luck to you in all of your decisions,

-dmc
        11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
        12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
        3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

On re-reading your post, I think you have plenty of time, if you are holding out til April.

Our case took nearly three years to get truly serious.

Keep an eye on it, though, as suits can move faster than most think.
          Last edited by DeadManCrawling; 10-24-2009, 08:27 PM. Reason: spelling
          11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
          12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
          3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

Originally posted by frmrdwn View Post
            GE Money, the one account that I am concerned that may actually be able to file suit, get a judgment and garnish wages, before I can file BK in April, sent an odd letter today. They are alerting me that there is a potential security issue with a merchant where I used my card recently. Then they reassure me that had nothing to do with this security issue.

I haven't used the card in almost 90 days. Maybe this is a ploy to get me to answer their calls?

My attorney advised me not to answer letters as he doesn't think they will be able to get a judgment and garnish wages prior to my filing in April. So, I didn't send a DV with the last threatening letter from GE Money. This letter seems to suggest that they (creditor) may not know who has been making some of the charges on my account. Seems like a good time to respond with a DV if that is the case, just to buy time. Obviously, I have charged on the account. I don't want to lose any of my rights if I don't respond. Can that happen (losing rights, that is).

So, I ask for opinions. Maybe just sit back and follow the directions of my attorney is the track to take. I would like to avoid a lawsuit, if possible, though. Send a DV?
            You answered your own question.
            Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

There are certain creditors that I would not mess with. I have had a very bad experience with HSBC / HFC...they mean business. Same with GEMB.
              Take $10 billion from the government and then sue me...nice

Comment

GEMB will continually hang on the original account and farm it out to numerous firms, and still send you letters about your delinquency.

Comment

Originally posted by jwmc1 View Post
                  There are certain creditors that I would not mess with. I have had a very bad experience with HSBC / HFC...they mean business. Same with GEMB.
                  So far they are right behind Citi with the volume of calls and I owe them under 1k whereas all my Citi cards/loans are well over 19k. They appear to be aggressive...good luck
                  Stopped paying CC: September 2009 ; Retained attorney: 9/9/2009; Filed Chap 7: January 18, 2010; 341 Meeting: March 9, 2010; Discharged and Closed: April 29, 2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X