What to expect when they answer a DV letter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to expect when they answer a DV letter

I had a debt owed to a doctors office. When I did not pay it it went on to a collection company. They wrote me and said what was owed. I sent them a DV letter and very quickly (less than a week) they provided proof of the debt. Now what can I expect from them at this point? I am now beginning to get a little anxious because now American Express, Discover, Capital One and a Capital One personal loan has now been sent to collection agencies. They all want me to either pay or write them asking for proof of the original debt. I want to file in December but now I'm hearing that filing must now wait until February (read it here) and I'm afraid of a judgment or lawsuit before I can file. Can anyone tell me about how much more time I can actually buy before this happens? I know every company is different but I would like a little piece of mind about this. How fast do you think they will move? Any input is greatly appreciated!
    08-2009:Quit Paying Credit Cards
    04-2010:Hired 2nd Attorney;05-2010:Filed 7
    06-2010:341 Meeting (went very well)
    08-24-2010: Discharged; 09-02-2010 Closed!!

First of all it is your legal right to file BK anytime you want. If the courts are backed up with cases or they want your 09 tax return, it just means (and IF that is that case... my attorney has said nothing about it) means you won't be discharged for another month or two. You can file ANYTIME you want AND you will receive the court's protection and automatic stay from creditors suing you or their collection practices.

As for your accounts being sent to collection agencies?? Send them all a DV letter ALSO stating you wish no more phone contact at work or home or in any manner whatsoever, that all future communication must be in writing only AND that you are in the process of retaining an attorney to commence Ch 7 bankruptcy proceedings.
    I swear you probably will not hear from them ever again.

Then go ahead and file as soon as you can. Don't worry about it..
    Stopped paying c. cards February 2009
    Retained attorney 11/5/09 - $100k in C.Card debt - $120000 per year income - Filed Feb 2010 - 341 Apr 2010 - No Asset Case/Report of No Dist Apr 2010 - Discharged June 2010
    Case went without a hitch!
    I HELD MY HEAD HIGH IN THAT COURTROOM AND NOW I AM MOVING ON!

Comment

Thank you calgirl... really appreciate your input!
      08-2009:Quit Paying Credit Cards
      04-2010:Hired 2nd Attorney;05-2010:Filed 7
      06-2010:341 Meeting (went very well)
      08-24-2010: Discharged; 09-02-2010 Closed!!

Comment

In our case when we went to court, we told the judge that we were in the process of filing bk. We asked for a 60 day extension and he granted it. Don't know about where you live but we were able to put off any kind of judgement and when we filed, attorney sent documents to the circuit court that ended all the going to court dates.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X