Funny Discover Call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny Discover Call

Discover has been calling me non-stop at home, work and cell for a few weeks. I finally called back today to tell them I can't get any personal calls at work. So, I was transferred to someone at Discover who started off being suprisedly nice and understanding and explained that I needed to make a payment today to prevent my account form going to charge-off. After I told him my sob story about why I couldn't make any payments on that account - his tone changed so quick it made my head spin. He became very sarcastic and started threning me with the fact that he would send my account to a lawyer tomorrow to file suit against me and that they would garnish my wages. Thanks to this forum, I know wage garnishments aren't permitted in PA and I told him so. After he got the steam back in his sails, then he started to threaten me with the 1099-C issue and told me I'd owe at leat $6,000 to the IRS. Again, thanks to this forum I know I can handle that by showing the IRS I'm insolvent if I don't file for BK first.

It felt great having enough information so that he couldn't intimidate me with his threats.

......(Quote): "After he got the steam back in his sails, then he started to threaten me with the 1099-C issue and told me I'd owe at leat $6,000 to the IRS. Again, thanks to this forum I know I can handle that by showing the IRS I'm insolvent if I don't file for BK first.".....

Unless you are already in a some sort of a debt reduction repayment program with the bank, there would be no issue with the IRS... there would be no 1099and the topic of insolvency would not matter....

Comment

ok, please allow me to take the marbles out of my mouth..., namely: I don't believe that there is any tax consequence just because a bank writes off a debt...that's just their book keeping, nothing to do with a 1099, which only kicks in (i.e.) if there is a debt reduction/settlement for less, or debt forgiveness.

Comment

I was instructed by Discover last week to "sell something to make the payment" Anyone want to by a sofa!

Comment

Originally posted by knight3989 View Post
          I was instructed by Discover last week to "sell something to make the payment" Anyone want to by a sofa!

...with or without catscratches ?

Comment

I got into with a Discover card woman last week. What a BeeAch. She told me I had to make a payment. Please. She was like a PitBull but I can give as good as I get and she finally hung up on me. Kind of enjoyed jerking her around. I'm collection proof so I had nothing to loose. I got tons of calls last week. I think it was because it was the end of the month and they wanted to meet their quota.

HSBC offered to give me a new card (after they shut me down last April and I hadn't even defaulted on any cards at the time and was well under my my credit limit) and re-age my debt. Sure reset the clock. They re-age the debt more for the company's benefit than mine. Did my homework. Re-aging from, what I have read. increases their net worth. Older debts reduce their net worth and that is why they charge debt off at a certain point. I'm done with debt I told him. Keep the card. CAn't pay!

C7L

Comment

Originally posted by knight3989 View Post
              They tried to get me to transfer the debt to an empty card AFTER I told them I was filing BK, which is illegal for me to do and is fraud. The guy also told me I didn't deserve to take up space on this earth and told me I should kill myself. That is why I stopped talking to creditors. Discover and AM-Ex were the skeeziest by far.
              Filed 4-21-2008
              7/16- DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sisterfunkhaus View Post
                The guy also told me I didn't deserve to take up space on this earth and told me I should kill myself.
                WOW That's amazing! It would be great to have that call recorded... Can you imagine if someone did try to commit suicide and failed... The lawsuit they would have on their hands

Comment

Sounds like they employ the same scummy collectors that Fashion Bug uses. The collector told me I should starve and sit in the dark when I told her that my family's comfort and well being came before my debts.
                  sigpic
                  Filed - 11/19/08;341 - 12/22/08
                  Discharged - 2/23/09 ;Closed - 3/6/09
                  Got my first post BK credit line - car loan - 4/9/09 On my way to recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by OHBOY View Post
                    ok, please allow me to take the marbles out of my mouth..., namely: I don't believe that there is any tax consequence just because a bank writes off a debt...that's just their book keeping, nothing to do with a 1099, which only kicks in (i.e.) if there is a debt reduction/settlement for less, or debt forgiveness.
                    Actually, there is an FTC opinion letter that states that a creditor is never obligated to file a 1099. How they account for the debt and whether a 1099 is filed is an internal booking matter.

After investigating possible violations of consumer protection or competition laws, the FTC may decide against taking immediate enforcement action and choose to close its investigation. In those instances, the FTC sends a letter to the parties to notify them of the decision. The agency may choose to take action later if it is necessary.
                    So the poor debtor, seeing naught around him
                    Yet feels the narrow limits that impound him
                    Grieves at his debt and studies to evade it
                    And finds at last he might as well have paid it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X