Cease & Desist Letter Worked!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cease & Desist Letter Worked!

Target sent my past due account to Client Services (CA) after only a couple of months. The did not sell the debt they just assigned the debt to them for servicing. Client Services has a bad rep and I can tell you why. They are dumb-tards who think calling you four times in one day, even though you have already spoken to them, is an effective way of prying money out of your thieving hands. LOL!

I just wrote them a simple one paragraph letter (based on sample letters/advise from this board) that essentially said stop calling me and cited the FDCPA 15 U.S.C., Section 805 as my reference. Haven't heard a peep in almost two weeks.

Thanks to all the wise-men/women on this board for their sage advice.

C7L

Good for you...but my question is does that then prompt them to file suit? If they cannot contact you what is there next course of action?

But on a good note, they are no longer calling!

Comment

Originally posted by carol7lynn View Post
      Target sent my past due account to Client Services (CA) after only a couple of months. The did not sell the debt they just assigned the debt to them for servicing. Client Services has a bad rep and I can tell you why. They are dumb-tards who think calling you four times in one day, even though you have already spoken to them, is an effective way of prying money out of your thieving hands. LOL!

I just wrote them a simple one paragraph letter (based on sample letters/advise from this board) that essentially said stop calling me and cited the FDCPA 15 U.S.C., Section 805 as my reference. Haven't heard a peep in almost two weeks.

Thanks to all the wise-men/women on this board for their sage advice.

C7L
      yep, had 6 accounts assigned to them. after I sent the DV letters they stopped calling. however, FYI- now that you pulled their teeth, the next stop for your account is a collection attourney. at least thats what happened to mine.Now i'm hopeing to file Ch-7 before one of them can sue me.
      Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Originally posted by rooster0330 View Post
        Good for you...but my question is does that then prompt them to file suit? If they cannot contact you what is there next course of action?

But on a good note, they are no longer calling!
        So far that has not happened to me. I admit to having a data point of one, so far. I just got a second collection letter in the mail yesterday where I will also do a C&D.

I truly believe that a C&d will not make them sue you. Suing really just isn't that simple a process that ONE thing makes them sue you. A collector has many options other than sue.

(1) Continue to mail you letters. (This is what's happening to me)
        (2) Sell your debt to someone else
        (3) Write the debt off
        (4) Offer to settle

Debt collectors are in the business to make money. They are not going to sue you if they think it's a money losing proposition.
        So the poor debtor, seeing naught around him
        Yet feels the narrow limits that impound him
        Grieves at his debt and studies to evade it
        And finds at last he might as well have paid it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dst1 View Post
          So far that has not happened to me. I admit to having a data point of one, so far. I just got a second collection letter in the mail yesterday where I will also do a C&D.

I truly believe that a C&d will not make them sue you. Suing really just isn't that simple a process that ONE thing makes them sue you. A collector has many options other than sue.

(1) Continue to mail you letters. (This is what's happening to me)
          (2) Sell your debt to someone else
          (3) Write the debt off
          (4) Offer to settle

Debt collectors are in the business to make money. They are not going to sue you if they think it's a money losing proposition.
          i guess that could be the case in some instances. i do know this. in my case i have about 1/2 dozen of my accounts with some well known Law firms here in Ca. and I know they sue by the boat load, as I can see the cases on my local court docket. I can even determine what days of each month each law firm files it's cases. Prior to that these accounts had been with the collection agencies, I stopped paying CC's in Feb-Mar 09. So I check court records each day to see if they have filed on me yet, so i can watch for a process server to show up.
          Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Maybe Yes_Maybe No

I have feeling they'll just send the debt back to Target.

I forgot to mention the debt is only $600. If Target wants to sue me then let them as I am collection proof with no money in the bank, a 13 year old car and a house that is under water. In California they would, correct me if I'm wrong, have to file in Superior Court which in the final analysis wouldn't be very cost effective.

C7L

Comment

From what I read, the low (less than $1000-2000) cards are the most common to be sued, in small claims. That is because it is cheap and easy for them, easy to prove, and many people just give up and pay when sued for such a small amount.
              1/15/10 Filed ch7 2/18/10 314 meeting
              2/22/10 Report of No Distribution
              4/20/10 Discharged 5/20/10 Closed!

Comment

Originally posted by pcn View Post
                From what I read, the low (less than $1000-2000) cards are the most common to be sued, in small claims. That is because it is cheap and easy for them, easy to prove, and many people just give up and pay when sued for such a small amount.
                In California, where I live, a CA can't sue in small claims court. They'd have to file in Superior Court, Not sure if Target (OC) could sue me in small claims court but if they can they can't be represented by a lawyer there so who would they send from Minnesota to do that for $600?

C7L

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X