talk me down...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

talk me down...

I just received a fedex letter....Inside there was a letter, stating they can help me, that everyone has financial problems, I have a total amount due of 30k (between two cards bofa is one and FIa is the other), and if I can't pay it in full by December 15 they will help me, there associates will help me. They only listed a phone number, no no company name whatsoever! is this from BOFA or a collection agency!!!! This morning has been a busy morning with my collector friends!!! I am just getting a little unnerved. How do I respond. Do I ignore it???? Thanks!!!!

Don't panic. They just paid extra to send you a collection letter (I've received several of these, via Fedex and UPS). Likely from BofA; I've only gotten first class mail from the collection agencies.

I think the big envelope freaks some people out ("they must REALLY MEAN IT when they send me a Fedex letter!") And that's why they do it.

And no - there will be no addresses on any of these BofA or FIA letters. Only phone numbers. There must be a reason for that, but I don't know what it is.
    Filed non-consumer no asset Chapter 7 on 7-12-10 after 4 foreclosures, 7 lawsuits including 2 deficiencies, 2 wage garnishments, a bank garnishment and a partridge in a pear tree. 341 held on 8-11-10. Discharge 11-4-10.

Comment

Probably to stop someone from making a visit to them with a firearm.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetGeorgia View Post
        Only phone numbers. There must be a reason for that, but I don't know what it is.
        Because they want for you to call them in order to get a phone number on you.

But you might say, "I block my phone from sending my number".

Well I bet that you're calling a toll free number. You can't block caller ID to those. They are called "trap lines" for a reason.

Here's a little info:

Trap Lines
        Trap lines have become a very effective investigative tool in skip tracing and other types of investigations such as when you need to find out where someone works.The idea behind using a trap line is that if you capture the telephone number that the party is dialing from, you have a fact that they were at this location at the time of the call. This could be their home address. If you set it up right and ask them to call at a certain time, they could be calling from their work number. Of course, once you get the number they call from, you need to turn the telephone number you captured into an address.

Basically, a trap line will capture the phone number anyone dials in from even if CallerID information is blocked. One may ask, how does a trap line get around the caller ID block? It's actually very easy and simple through the user of a toll-free number dialed. You could actually set up one yourself through a toll free 800 number.The problem is, you have to wait to get the bill to get the number the party called from.

What a trap line does it it provides real time ANI (Automatic Number Identification). That means you get instant information and results from it.

Blind Lines
        Many investigative services use what are called blind lines to avoid someone else capturing the number you are calling from. A blind line is like a cut-out line. On the other end, only the blind line service number shows up in any caller ID or billing record.

Many Trap Line services provide you the customized service you need where you can use a blind line to call out and then provide a trap line they call you back on.

Using Trap Line Services
        Sometimes it takes several different methods to get a certain subject to call a trap line. By send letters and or postcards to potential addresses asking the subject to call the number under various pretexts. Others make use of a blind line phone and work the phone to get a certain subject to call the trap line number. When using several different methods at once, it's important to have different phone numbers and extensions the subject dials so you can keep track of which trap line call goes to which case and which method you used.
        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

So I am guessing it is safe NOT to call back and file it with all my other "love" letters!!!!

Comment

thats interesting...so even if you call on a blocked cell phone..they can get your #

Comment

Originally posted by junker View Post
              thats interesting...so even if you call on a blocked cell phone..they can get your #
              Yes. In simple terms, there are two signals sent when you make a phone call.

One is the signal that you block that makes you think you're safely making a private call.

The second one is the signal that is used by the 911 service. That signal can not be blocked and can be received by the trap lines.
              All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.

Comment

Have you tried Googling the number? I'm sure there are other people who have gotten the same letter and tried the number. Betcha my lunch it's on a "who called us" website.
                sigpic
                Filed - 11/19/08;341 - 12/22/08
                Discharged - 2/23/09 ;Closed - 3/6/09
                Got my first post BK credit line - car loan - 4/9/09 On my way to recovery.

Comment

I googled the number and it is Bank of America headquarters!!!!

Comment

I got 2 of those from bank of america.

One was like the letter you got, the other was a "it only takes 1 payment", I was 4 payments behind and they were offering to take 1 payment to bring the account current. Mine was a $30k fixed 7.9 interest rate however (with no provision to raise based on late payments).

You can safely chuck it in the trash.
                    Filed CH13 - 06/2009
                    Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

I wonder what number shows up if you use a prepaid calling card. It's usually some strange number that displays on the caller-id.

Comment

...or a MagicJack number...which I don't really care as I gave 'em that #...the voicemails go directly to the computer, so I can listen to them if I get really bored.

Comment

Did I mention that you can get a "burner" cell phone on sale for $19.95 most any time and that it has $15.00 worth of minutes included with it?

Throwaway phones are cheap. Pay phones are also available. Just never (and I mean NEVER) borrow a phone from a friend to make that call with.

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
                            Because they want for you to call them in order to get a phone number on you.

But you might say, "I block my phone from sending my number".

Well I bet that you're calling a toll free number. You can't block caller ID to those. They are called "trap lines" for a reason.

Here's a little info:

Trap Lines
                            Trap lines have become a very effective investigative tool in skip tracing and other types of investigations such as when you need to find out where someone works.The idea behind using a trap line is that if you capture the telephone number that the party is dialing from, you have a fact that they were at this location at the time of the call. This could be their home address. If you set it up right and ask them to call at a certain time, they could be calling from their work number. Of course, once you get the number they call from, you need to turn the telephone number you captured into an address.

Basically, a trap line will capture the phone number anyone dials in from even if CallerID information is blocked. One may ask, how does a trap line get around the caller ID block? It's actually very easy and simple through the user of a toll-free number dialed. You could actually set up one yourself through a toll free 800 number.The problem is, you have to wait to get the bill to get the number the party called from.

What a trap line does it it provides real time ANI (Automatic Number Identification). That means you get instant information and results from it.

Blind Lines
                            Many investigative services use what are called blind lines to avoid someone else capturing the number you are calling from. A blind line is like a cut-out line. On the other end, only the blind line service number shows up in any caller ID or billing record.

Many Trap Line services provide you the customized service you need where you can use a blind line to call out and then provide a trap line they call you back on.

Using Trap Line Services
                            Sometimes it takes several different methods to get a certain subject to call a trap line. By send letters and or postcards to potential addresses asking the subject to call the number under various pretexts. Others make use of a blind line phone and work the phone to get a certain subject to call the trap line number. When using several different methods at once, it's important to have different phone numbers and extensions the subject dials so you can keep track of which trap line call goes to which case and which method you used.
                            What if you walk into B of A bank branch and ask to make a local call because you just ran out of gas ? Then just dial the trap line.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X