can they call numerous times???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can they call numerous times???

This is the first month that I have not paid my credit card bills. I'm only about 10 days late, and I've been receiving at least 20 calls a day on my phone and several more at work. Is there anything I can do for them to stop calling? I know I haven't paid and Yes, I know that if I pay they'll stop calling. I just don't have the money to continue paying the credit cards and will be filing for bankruptcy.

If you don't answer the telephone they can keep calling and calling... Yes, they can. See, they are attempting to reach you. When you avoid them by not answering the phone they have no way of knowing if you are using Caller ID to duck them and don't want to talk to them or if you are really not home.

Once you tell them that you cannot receive personal telephone calls at work they should and most will cease to call you there.

Some states limit the number of times that they can call you IF they reach you. The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act gives you some protection however, if the debt is still in the hands of the OC, it doesn't apply.

What you are forgetting is that the party calling you is the party that got screwed here. They entrusted you with their money and for whatever reason they now feel they are in danger of not getting that money back. If someone owed you money and were ducking your calls, wouldn't you call them, mail them letters and anything else to try and get your money back?

Comment

I changed my phone number, That worked well for me

Comment

Originally posted by wickedlate View Post
        I changed my phone number, That worked well for me
        Really? Was it unlisted? I asked one of the free attorney consults about getting a different/unlisted number and she said not to bother because they would find it anyway....?

Comment

They can call and they do. Even after talking to someone who supposedly made notes in my file regarding my inability to pay, I am getting several calls a day. Since I have only stopped paying a couple (on the fence about BK) and have spoken to reps from both of them, there is no reason for them to keep calling as though I magically won the Lotto in the past 48 hours or had hundreds mystically fly out of my butt. But they do. And you are just not protected from the OCs.

And just did again...except when I answered I got the obnoxious loud beeping you get when you dial a disconnected number.
          First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

If you change your phone number or don't answer then you should expect calls to start at your work phone number, neighbor's phone numbers and relative's phone numbers. The collection agents will begin "Attempt to Locate" calls.

The reality is did you expect them not to call? They are really hoping to wear you down and get you to pay them something. Anything... just to get them to quit calling you. That is the triumph they are seeking. They want their money back and are going to try just about anything to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickifan View Post
              Really? Was it unlisted? I asked one of the free attorney consults about getting a different/unlisted number and she said not to bother because they would find it anyway....?
              It's unlisted and have had not 1 call since I changed it.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I realize that I owe them money, I just didn't realized they would be calling so soon.

Comment

Originally posted by c24h44o22 View Post
                  Thanks for the feedback. I realize that I owe them money, I just didn't realized they would be calling so soon.
                  You can send them a C & D letter and then they cannot call you. When are you filing? When you get your case number they can no longer call you.

BTW, how do you pronounce your name? 'Hub
                  If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Unless state law specifies it a Cease and Desist letter will not stop these calls. This is the Original Creditor still calling. The OC is not bound by the FDCPA as are CA and JDBs. It still doesn't hurt to send one but don't be surprised if you still get calls.

Comment

Quote 1://You can send them a C & D letter and then they cannot call you. When are you filing? When you get your case number they can no longer call you.//

Quote 2:
                      //Unless state law specifies it a Cease and Desist letter will not stop these calls. This is the Original Creditor still calling. The OC is not bound by the FDCPA as are CA and JDBs. It still doesn't hurt to send one but don't be surprised if you still get calls. //

Thanks finally for this clarification. I have been very confused by advice to send "cease and desist" or "debt validation" letters, but I was pretty sure from my research that the Original Creditors were not bound to stop calling. I am expecting my first call probably by the end of next week...Merry Christmas to me, eh?

I think I have learned though that I will NOT say I am planning to file BK.
                      So far my tentative script is, "I am so sorry. I finally ran out of money for credit card payments, after spending all of my savings trying to keep current. I am unemployed and looking for work and simply do not have any cash except to pay for my rent, food and gasoline." What think?

Comment

I have a few call multiple times in a day in the very beginning, and I flat out told them, you just called me blank time ago and I spoke with someone there and please stop calling it has not changed in the 1/2 hour since I spoke to you last. Now that we are about 4-5 months of not paying the calls have really slowed down, we are getting them maybe once a week from each! I am also finding they are a little more sympathetic ????? I don't why? but I even had a lady from Chase tell me God Bless you, yesterday????? and the BOFA lady the other day said you deal with what you need to deal with (my son was sick) and we will try again in a couple of weeks again!!! I think they are all getting ready to go in for the kill LOL!!! the only one that has sent to collections is AMEX!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rooster0330 View Post
                          I have a few call multiple times in a day in the very beginning, and I flat out told them, you just called me blank time ago and I spoke with someone there and please stop calling it has not changed in the 1/2 hour since I spoke to you last. Now that we are about 4-5 months of not paying the calls have really slowed down, we are getting them maybe once a week from each! I am also finding they are a little more sympathetic ????? I don't why? but I even had a lady from Chase tell me God Bless you, yesterday????? and the BOFA lady the other day said you deal with what you need to deal with (my son was sick) and we will try again in a couple of weeks again!!! I think they are all getting ready to go in for the kill LOL!!! the only one that has sent to collections is AMEX!!!!

Rooster, which state are you in, if you care to share? All of your cards are included in my group, all of whom will not be paid within the next month. Two cards due tomorrow are the first ones I will not be paying... a BofA and HSBC. I have two BofAs...the other is due the 28th. I'm wondering if there are two offices or if I'll hear from the same folks when the second card goes unpaid.
                          I'm still curious if the behavior is NATIONAL in scope from a particular OC, or if their various offices around the country might do things differently. Some people do seem to get different treatment, even from the same OC...
                          I'm in TX.

Comment

Originally posted by nickifan View Post
                            Rooster, which state are you in, if you care to share? All of your cards are included in my group, all of whom will not be paid within the next month. Two cards due tomorrow are the first ones I will not be paying... a BofA and HSBC. I have two BofAs...the other is due the 28th. I'm wondering if there are two offices or if I'll hear from the same folks when the second card goes unpaid.
                            I'm still curious if the behavior is NATIONAL in scope from a particular OC, or if their various offices around the country might do things differently. Some people do seem to get different treatment, even from the same OC...
                            I'm in TX.
                            I live in New Jersey...I am thinking that the behavior is National too...correct me anyone if I am wrong...I am sooo new at this!!!!

Comment

I have my 1st consult with my lawyer in january. I hope to file in March at the latest.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X