What happens at pre-trial conference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens at pre-trial conference?

I am being sued by Discover in SE Michigan. I filed an answer to the complaint and the next day received a notice of a pre-trial conference February 2. I also received a questionnaire which must be returned 10 days before the conference. I am hustling to get the money to file Chapter 7, but don't know if I can swing it by then.

What happens at the conference? Do I just show up and say I'm unemployed and will be filing BK ASAP? How long do I probably have before this goes to judgment? If I don't want to appear at the conference, how long before it must I file BK to avoid a judgment?
    Last edited by Violet; 12-29-2009, 01:02 PM. Reason: added more info

Just curious, who is the attorney firm? They will probably discuss procedural issues, maybe attempt to get both parties to reach a settlement, etc. I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by treehugger1 View Post
      Just curious, who is the attorney firm? They will probably discuss procedural issues, maybe attempt to get both parties to reach a settlement, etc. I'm not sure.
      To add to "Treehugger" questions, are you represented at all? This is a question for your lawyer. If you cannot afford to file, go pre se and get an indigent release.

By all means go to this hearing. Ask for a full accountability and question the amounts and anything that is truthfully questionable. It is alright to voice your bk plans. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

The plaintiff's firm is Buckles & Buckles. I cannot afford a lawyer. I made less than $3,000 last year and have no income right now at all.

What is an "indigent release"?

I am having a hard time coming up with BK money. As long as I show up to the hearing, there won't be a judgment issued there, correct? So if I go to the hearing, I don't have to worry about filing until after the hearing, unless they file for and win a Motion for Summary Judgment, right?

Comment

Not being able to pay isn't really a defense. In the worst case scenario you'd get a judgment right away followed by information subpoena/debtors exam.

However an alternative path is they ask you what can you afford and assuming you tell them an amount > 0, you get a stipulated judgment saying you'll pay that amount, otherwise it turns into a regular judgment.

If you just want to mess with them and delay a few months, I'd state that the charges are in dispute (strongly hint fraud or identity theft without saying such) and you have refused to pay until they produce documentation.
          filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X