question about a letter from a lawyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about a letter from a lawyer

I'm not planning to file ch 7 until march or so.

Today I received a letter from the Law Offices of Scheer, Green and Burke, CO. L.P.A. in Toledo, Ohio. The letter informs me that they are attempting to collect a debt in the amount of $187.50, from Safespeed/Safelight traffic violation. This was a ticket I got by mail in August 2009 when a red light camera got me turning right on red (which is legal in Louisiana) but they say I did not come to a complete stop before turning. It was originally for $125.00. Shortly after it was decided that amount was ridiculous and they reduced the fines for these tickets to $25.00. I called and said if mine was reduced to $25, I'd pay over the phone immediately. They refused and said mine was still valid for $125.00. They wouldn't accept a few installlments, it all had to be paid at once. So I didn't pay. If I'd had the money to pay at the time, I would have. But didn't. And haven't really come into enough to pay it yet. And now it includes a 50% late fee increasing it to 187.50. I wasn't real worried about it until now, as I've read that it's not reported to the DMV or insurance companies.

I'm wondering if this law office would be willing to make a deal with me. I'm more than willing to pay $25. Not sure if they have the ability to do that, like some collection agencies do. I guess maybe I will write them a letter asking about it?

Any thoughts?

Strange. Others may know more than me on this, but in my area, if you don't pay or show up to court, your license would get suspended.

I haven't heard of traffic tickets going to collections...........
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Same experience in CA as frogger.

My guess is if a law firm's involved, they're not going to negotiate to $25.

Comment

Usually the law firm IS a collection agent. Did the letter have the "mini miranda" on it? "This is an attempt to collect a debt... yadayadayada"....? If so, they are the same as any other collection agency.

Comment

Red light camera tickets are usually like this, because without an officer pulling the car over they have no way of knowing who committed the infraction. So it's strictly a civil thing. Depending on your state it could affect your car registration I suppose. As far as the law firm angle, it's a collection agency, that's all.
          Don't know if they'll deal or not, but if you're filing ch7 in a few months, why even bother with it?
          filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Okay let me explain. Safespeed/Safelight is a private company hired by some cities to install traffic cams. They send tickets via US Mail. These are not reported to the DMV or insurance companies, so the driver's license will not be suspended, there is no court date or anything like that. You are just supposed to mail in your check to that company, and the city gets a certain percentage. It's totally different than a regular traffic ticket you would get from a police officer. That's why I was not as concerned about paying it right away. Maybe some of you aren't familiar with it b/c they don't have this system in all areas. It's the same sort of thing with those vans that park and take pics of people whizzing by. There has been lots of uproar regarding both types of companies in the news recently. Had I gotten a "real" ticket I would have to pay it, or face court...I would have borrowed the money or something, to get it taken care of asap.

I recevied a pm from another member here and tried to respond but that person does not accept pm's. So, to answer that question, let me make it known, that I am not contesting the ticket. I was provided with photos from 3 different angles showing my vehicle, license plate, etc. as well as a video showing the "rolling stop" on the company's website. So yeah, I didn't come to a complete stop before turning.

Yes tigergem, that's exactly what type of letter it was. "This is an attempt to collect a debt, blah blah blah blah." So you are saying they are no different than any other collection agency? Seeing "the Law Offices of" seems to me, a bit more intimidating than a collection agency, but then again I guess that's the point?

Comment

Here are some FAQ's from the website:

5. How does SafeLight work? Cameras are installed at high-crash locations to record violations. The SafeLight system photographs the rear license plate of vehicles running the red light. The camera records the date, time, speed of the vehicle and time elapsed since the beginning of the red signal. A ticket, including a photograph of the violation, will be sent to the vehicle owner. Instructions to view an online video of the violation will be included in the notice of violation.

6. Who manages the SafeLight program? The SafeLight program is operated by Redflex Traffic Systems INC. Redflex is responsible for the administration of the entire program including: project management, camera installation and maintenance, downloading images, violation processing, customer service, adjudication support and payment processing.

22. What happens if I do not pay the ticket? If the notice of violation is not paid, an additional 50% late charge will be added to the original violation amount and if the payment is not paid in 110 days, it will go to collections.

23. Does this go against my insurance? No, this does not go against your car insurance or driving record.

Comment

Originally posted by lindsay2181 View Post
                Here are some FAQ's from the website:

5. How does SafeLight work? Cameras are installed at high-crash locations to record violations. The SafeLight system photographs the rear license plate of vehicles running the red light. The camera records the date, time, speed of the vehicle and time elapsed since the beginning of the red signal. A ticket, including a photograph of the violation, will be sent to the vehicle owner. Instructions to view an online video of the violation will be included in the notice of violation.

6. Who manages the SafeLight program? The SafeLight program is operated by Redflex Traffic Systems INC. Redflex is responsible for the administration of the entire program including: project management, camera installation and maintenance, downloading images, violation processing, customer service, adjudication support and payment processing.

22. What happens if I do not pay the ticket? If the notice of violation is not paid, an additional 50% late charge will be added to the original violation amount and if the payment is not paid in 110 days, it will go to collections.

23. Does this go against my insurance? No, this does not go against your car insurance or driving record.
                Imo, if you cannot be clearly identified as the driver (on the pictures) you may be able to make that claim that the obligation is not yours.

Skipper

Comment

There is a form to fill out if you are contesting the identity of the driver. You must provide the information of the person who you let drive your car that day and the ticket will be re-issued to them. I did not fill out that form and send it in b/c I do not let other people drive my car, I am not denying it was me in the driver's seat. I wouldn't feel right about lying.

Comment

Since this is strictly a civil matter, if I was planning to file chapter 7 I wouldn't consider paying this...likely they aren't willing to haggle either.

Look at it this way, if the most they can earn is, let's say, a 50% commission on a $187.00 debt, it's extremely unlikely they're going to go to any great lengths to collect on this. It's just going to be pure harassment, maybe even by overseas call center. Look at this law firm's website, it's extremely amateurish. In fact it's total nonsense. They cite founders from back in the 30s and 40s and admit the firm was formed in 1978.

Comment

thanks catleg! i hadn't even thought to look up their website. Like I said before, seeing "the Law Offices of..." seemed to me, a bit more intimidating. But after seeing their website, they really ARE just a collection agency! And this traffic tickets are number one on their list of "specialties" lol. http://www.scheergreenandburke.com/T...ollections.htm

I was once suckered into paying $400 of some outstanding cell phone bill in my husband's name. We had JUST gotten married and received a letter similar to this. My husband claimed the phone company had overcharged him and he cancelled services with them and got new service elsewhere. The letter stated he owed $9xx.xx and his mother agreed to pay half and I put the other half on my credit card. I should have never paid it! grrr....

Comment

I got two "settlement offer" letters from AFNI this past year, trying to collect on a cell phone bill for Verizon California. I didn't have personal cell service with Verizon in California, I had company issued phones. When I sent a DV letter, they sent me printouts for two phones dated in 1999 BEFORE I lived in California, at an address I never lived at. You really have to watch that stuff and not just pay stuff because they demand it. There are all kinds of scams.

Years ago, I got a few collection letters for small amounts for things I KNEW I had not incurred. Between $10 and $50. And finally figured out it was just somebody sending collection letters thinking I would just panic about getting a collection letter and pay them! And it was a scam! I bet they got a lot of money from a lot of people that way! I hope they also got busted for mail fraud.

Comment

Comment

Right. I don't what these guys were thinking...giving me a settlement offer on a 10 year old cell phone bill - - never mind that wasn't even mine to begin with. I was tempted to have a bit of fun with them when I saw what it was they were trying to collect, but I didn't even bother writing back to them after all.

Comment

'Lindsay2181':
                              On Monday my wife also just recieved one of those lovely letters titled 'Notice of Infraction' for a 'Red Zone Infraciton /Failure to Stop at a Red Light' ( yes, she too made a 'rolling right hand turn'....and same as with you, it does not show the driver...they just write the fine out for the vehicle owner for $ 125....ridiculous (!)

The whole thing is a big money grab, an additional taxation ! and....also perfectly unconstitutional !
                              It's the individual townships that are bringing this on under the guise of 'Safty', and they are voting it in as an "Ordinance'. Actually it's 'Big Brother' at it's money grabbing best....

The Notice itself is sent for a city (in Florida) by a company out of Phoenix, AZ and the fine is supposed to be sent to Cincinnati, OH.... what a joke !

Wife will pay it 'under protest'... there are some lawsuits pending in different states, and who knows, MAYBE she'll get her money back THAT way (?)....

As we frequently drive through the city, she will however pay the fine in person at the lousy City Hall, along with a letter to the city councilmen/women to let them know that this family will boycott the city by not going shopping there, not getting any gasoline there, and by not eating at any of their eateries.

The monies that they are collecting for the ticket, is monies they will loose in tax revenues with our boycott....

and...yes, I also see where they say that unpaid 'infractions' will go to 'collections', and my sentiment is also that since this 'thingy' is a civil matter the actual collection of this piece of junk paper would be problematic if somebody can't pay/will file for bk, or is 'collection proof'....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X