top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is Best Collection Letter Response?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Is Best Collection Letter Response?

Yesterday I received a collection letter from UCB of Toledo OH...

Excerpts of letter include:

."....This is an attempt to collect a debt by UCB..."

"Unless you notify this office within 30 days after receiving this notice that you dispute the validity of this debt or any portion thereof, this office will assume this debt i valid. If you notify this office in writing within 30 days from receiving this notice that you dispute the validity of this debt or any portion thereof, this office will obtain verification of the debt or obtain a copy of a judgment and mail you a copy of such judgment or verification. ...."

(current creditor is citibank)

I 'm wondering what is best action for me to take?
    I don't really know if amount is correct since there are interest and penalties etc....is it appropriate to dispute this as a general rule?
    Thanks.

This is a stock form letter. They ALL start out the same. My best advice is toss it.

Wait until they make a call, then state, you are working on a plan to fix your financial circumstances and please do not call back or call any contacts from this point. You may have to follow up with a C&D letter.

It is nothing to worry about. Just the first step to intimidation. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
      Yesterday I received a collection letter from UCB of Toledo OH...

Excerpts of letter include:

."....This is an attempt to collect a debt by UCB..."

"Unless you notify this office within 30 days after receiving this notice that you dispute the validity of this debt or any portion thereof, this office will assume this debt i valid. If you notify this office in writing within 30 days from receiving this notice that you dispute the validity of this debt or any portion thereof, this office will obtain verification of the debt or obtain a copy of a judgment and mail you a copy of such judgment or verification. ...."

(current creditor is citibank)

I 'm wondering what is best action for me to take?
      I don't really know if amount is correct since there are interest and penalties etc....is it appropriate to dispute this as a general rule?
      Thanks.
      I like to send them a DV letter stating the same thing.

In accordance with the FDCPA law blah blah blah, your claim is disputed and I request verification.

Please provide me with a copy of such judgment or verification.

Since the FDCPA doesnt provide a definite explanation as to what verification is, I let the collector determine what it means. The FDCPA does state that verification could be as little as just providing you with the original name and address of the creditor.

Comment

I kept my letter short and simple.

Date

Name
        Address
        City, State & Zip Code

Capital One Bank (USA), N.A.
        PO Box 12345
        Anywhere, NC 12345-1234

Dear **********,
        Re: Account Number - ***********

As per the FDCPA, I have the right to request a validation of this debt. I request you to prove that I am indeed the party who is by contract obligated to pay off this debt.

Please attach copies of the following documents:

1. Agreement that bears signature of the alleged debtor wherein he promises to pay the creditor.
        2. Complete payment history on this account so as to prove that the debt amount you wish to collect is correct.

With regards,

John Doe
        Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
        "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X