top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paying Off Collections- How Does It Affect Credit Score?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying Off Collections- How Does It Affect Credit Score?

Hello. I was directed here from a mommy site.

My husband and I are 33 & 31 respectively, and have a combined total of $6k in debt, about $5k of which is collections debt from medical bills and the rest is things like a power company account that was supposed to have been changed back into the landlords name after a move but wasn't and the landlord didn't pay the bill because it wasn't in his name, a cable bill from when we were co housing with friends and had to move due to violence, that sort of thing.

Anyways, we need/want to move into a larger rental in the fall when our lease is up. In order to do that we need to raise our credit scores. My husband is a full time student {post job displacement} and will be receiving a decent amount of refund from his Pell grants this semester. Combined with 1/2 of our tax refund, we could feasibly pay off 1/2 of our total debt load at once.

My question is, if/when {since I plan to do it anyways just to get out from under it} we pay off the accounts, how fast can/should our credit score come up if at all? Currently we have a 512 and a 615 respectively, so opening a new line of credit with our bank or obtaining an outside credit card isn't possible or I'd do that since I've read that those things can help raise a score rather quickly.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice and thoughts on this and how to raise our score aside from debt repayment given our inability to obtain new credit.

It will help, but it's not going to be an overnight cure. With a 512 & 615, you've got a history of bad things on your credit report. It's time to start a history of good things now. It takes time.......
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Have you actually talked to the new place about what your credit needs to be. Most property management and land lords don't really care that much about credit scores. They are primarily looking for evictions, collection accounts for things like utilities, and a steady source of income. The reality, if landlords did not rent to the credit challenged, they would have 40% vacancy rates.

With that little of a balance, I doubt you would see much improvement at all. It will help, but we are probably talking about an increase in the 10's range. The damage is already done so the only thing that will heal your credit is time and NEW USE of credit.

Comment

My credit score after bankruptcy is 590. I had no issue getting an apartment in very nice newer complex. They just required I make a month and a half rent deposit. So as long as you have money saved up, you should not have any problems finding something to rent. One place saw my credit report, and did not hold it against me, they required the same deposit as they would anyone else. Apartment vacancies are up all around the nation due to the unemployment problem, so landlords are more willingly to accept anyone.

Comment

I think you'd be better off saving the money for a deposit rather than paying down existing 'stale' accounts and hoping to borrow again.

512 is a really horrible score. It doesn't get much worse than that. At one point in time I had a huge debt load but was never late on anything and my score wasn't too much higher than that. That's about when I decided to pull the plug.

Medical collections have historically been know to make settlements. Maybe you can offer them a lump sum of 20% as settlement in full.
          filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Careful, depending on the age of the collection, paying it could hurt your score.

Comment

From what I understand it really doesn't help much, and can hurt by resetting statute of limitations.
              First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X