Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS collecting...again

Quick recap:

Discharged three years worth of back taxes last year in no-asset Ch 7.

Received Release Of Lien a few weeks after discharge.

Filed taxes two weeks ago, and now IRS wants to apply my refund to the discharged taxes.

Doesn't the Release Of Lien certificate prevent them from doing this?
    Open your arms to change, but don't let go of your values - HH The Dalai Lama
    Pro Se; filed no asset Ch 7 (including back taxes): 4/09
    314 Meeting : 6/09
    Complete Discharge 7/09 with CRFTL 8/09.

Originally posted by CarrieOakey View Post

Quick recap:

Discharged three years worth of back taxes last year in no-asset Ch 7.

Received Release Of Lien a few weeks after discharge.

Filed taxes two weeks ago, and now IRS wants to apply my refund to the discharged taxes.

Doesn't the Release Of Lien certificate prevent them from doing this?
    Did the IRS send you something saying that the taxes were discharged? And I'm assuming you don't owe for any years that were NOT discharged. By the way, how do you know the IRS wants to apply your refund to the discharged taxes? Did they tell you that?

Comment

If all of your outstanding tax liability was discharged in bankruptcy then you need to call the Treasury Offset Program call center at 800-297-0517.

Since the IRS obviously knew of the bankruptcy, as they were informed by the court when you filed against them, they should reverse the offset and issue the refund. Don't expect this to be a speedy process however.
      Filed CH13 - 06/2009
      Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

Originally posted by tdawg View Post
        Did the IRS send you something saying that the taxes were discharged? And I'm assuming you don't owe for any years that were NOT discharged. By the way, how do you know the IRS wants to apply your refund to the discharged taxes? Did they tell you that?

They have already applied the refund...

The Trustee confirmed the taxes were discharged, I do not owe further taxes and I do have the IRS Cert. of Release Of Federal Tax Lien for all three years.

Comment

Originally posted by forgotten View Post
          If all of your outstanding tax liability was discharged in bankruptcy then you need to call the Treasury Offset Program call center at 800-297-0517.

Since the IRS obviously knew of the bankruptcy, as they were informed by the court when you filed against them, they should reverse the offset and issue the refund. Don't expect this to be a speedy process however.

Nothing is ever speedy with the IRS, alas.

(well, unless you owe THEM money )

Thanks so much for that number - guess who I'll be calling tomorrow?

Thank you both for your responses!

Comment

Since when is the IRS bankruptable???
            Chapter 7 filed December 11, 2009, 341 Meeting held on January 7, 2010
            Deadline to File a Complaint: March 8, 2010

Discharged and Closed March 11, 2010

Comment

Without going back and citing the section of code the short answer is if you have filed, not refiled recently, and otherwise owed on taxes from 3 years ago those taxs can be discharged in bk7.
              3/2/09- Filed: chapter 7 / No asset
              4/1/09- 341 Hearing: 1 creditor showed up Got to love family feuds
              4/2/09- Trustee Report of No Distribution Filed
              6/24/09- Discharged and case closed

Comment

Update!

I spoke to an actual human with the Tax Advocacy folk...who was incredibly helpful. When the CROFTL was mentioned in the conversation, she stopped dead in her tracks and consulted with her supervisor.

Two minutes later, she said her supervisor said it was a clerical error, and would reverse the offset and the remaining refund amount should be with me in 4-6 weeks.

I never, ever, ever wanted to know this much about tax law but heck - I'm very glad I did the research.

So, hopefully now it really IS over and done with. Though of course I'm not going to be completely relaxed until that check is in my little hands ;)

Comment

Originally posted by DebtHater View Post
                  Since when is the IRS bankruptable???

Are you asking how back taxes can be discharged?

If so there is a VERY helpful thread here

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X