Recording conversations and not telling you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recording conversations and not telling you

I live in FL and started to receive calls from CC as I and not paying them. Got several call from Discovery and can hear the little beep in the phone. I think FL is "have tell the other party you are recording them" if they are. Anybody know and if so have they did something wrong?

A federal appellate court has held that because only interceptions made through an “electronic, mechanical or other device” are illegal under Florida law, telephones used in the ordinary course of business to record conversations do not violate the law. The court found that business telephones are not the type of devices addressed in the law and, thus, that a life insurance company did not violate the law when it routinely recorded business-related calls on its business extensions. Royal Health Care Servs., Inc. v. Jefferson-Pilot Life Ins. Co., 924 F.2d 215 (11th Cir. 1991).

Interesting that this court thinks that business telephones are not electrical or mechanical devices...what are they? Tin cans and string?

Comment

From what I have read they either must advise you that the call is being recorded or use an audible beep.

C7L

Comment

Laws vary by state and I don't know of any definitive case when the call is from one state to another - is it the caller's state or the receiver's state that matters? This is part of why most businesses inform you that you're being recorded any time you call in. In Texas where I live only one party needs to know that the call is being recorded. I record every single call in and out on both business and home lines and generally don't inform anyone about it unless they start to get rude.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X