top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long before the creditors stop calling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long before the creditors stop calling?

I filed Chapter 13 last Friday. I realize it's going to take time for my creditors to be notified, but I'm really sick of the phone calls. I never answer them, it's just the fact that my phone is always ringing. It will be nice when that stops. Anyone have an idea as to how long that takes? BTW, I do realize I can answer and give them my case number, etc., but I have no desire to do that. I tried talking to a couple of them months ago and I don't need to be berated again. It's just a waste of time at this point.

Also, is there any merit to the thought that speaking to them to tell them I've filed will have any impact on whether or not they file a claim? I can't help but wonder that if I did give them a heads up when they call, they might be more likely to have it on their radar and be sure to file a claim. But that could just be my wishful thinking.
    Filed Ch 13 - 2/2010
    341 meeting - 4/2010
    Confirmed! - 6/2010

If you have already filed, no harm in answering, interrupting them with your lawyer's number and case number, then hanging up. It is against the law for them to call after they know of a BK.

One lawyer had this issue where one CA berated an old woman who had filed telling her to kill herself. There was a nice hefty lawsuit filed on her behalf.
    First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

Try picking up the phone, turning it upside down, talking into the top part so that you can say what you want to say but not hear them, and then hang up lol.
      Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
      Attended 341 September 2010
      Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Comment

Half the time, when they bother to leave messages, it's a recorded one. Not even a real person. It's just easier for me to ignore it and let it go to voicemail. I have never answered their calls. I tried calling my creditors in the beginning when I first started having trouble making my payments and got berated by a couple of them just for that. The only one I bothered to call back was Discover and that was only because they were threatening legal action. They can all kiss it. LOL

That's horrible about the case with the older woman. I would have someone's behind if they ever said anything like that to me!
        Filed Ch 13 - 2/2010
        341 meeting - 4/2010
        Confirmed! - 6/2010

Comment

What I did for my folks as change their outgoing message on their voicemail to "If this call is regards to a bill collection or other credit related matter, my attorney's name is <name>, his number is <number>, my case number is <case number>, this is notice that we are filing bankkruptcy and all further communications must be directed to my attorney's office."

Gotten a few messages that go "This is <company name> Calling for...ah s--t you're filing bankruptcy?! ~hang up~"

Comment

We're planning on filing next week, so I don't have a case number yet. But I already answered the calls yesterday and gave them the attorney name and phone number. Phone hasn't rang once today.

If you really want it to stop just answer it. Or wait it out. Up to you.
            attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
            no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
            341, 05/10/2010
            discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X