Need Advice on Credit Card Debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Advice on Credit Card Debt

I've been researching the forum for a couple of weeks now and just don't know what I should or can do for my situation.

Some background:

I was resident in the U.S. (on work permits) for almost 15 years. Without going into lengthy detail I left the U.S. at the beginning of last year and returned to my home country due to work drying up and no longer holding a valid visa. I owned property in the U.S. which I sold before leaving - clearing the mortgage debts but due to the downturn in property prices I didn't have any extra funds left to pay off the credit cards which I'm now in debt for about $60K. I've been making the minimum payments for the last year or so but I've now run out of money and am currently out of work and have no other assets.

So, the cards are past 30 days due and I don't know what I can do. I know filing for BK is not an option as I'm no longer in the U.S. In about 6 months I should be receiving a lump sum payment which will more than cover the debt outstanding.

Should I call the banks and explain my situation in the hope they can defer payments until I have funds?

Can anyone recommend any good credit card forums that might be of benefit in my situation?

Many thanks in advance.

Do you have any bank accounts or other assets in the United States? Are you planning on returning to the U.S.? If no on both counts, then send them a letter telling them you have left the United States permanently and forget about them.

It's an interesting question. According to a quick search, it looks like you might be able to do it in Maryland if you open a bank account there.

--William
    I am an attorney, but I am just not your attorney.
    As such, any statement is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship.

Comment

Thanks so much for your reply BKDefender.

The only asset I have in the U.S. is a Chase bank account - based in Texas. Currently with $25.00. I had been making my CC payments from this account.

Interesting that you mention writing to tell them I have left the U.S. and to just forget about the debts. A couple of friends suggested I do the same. I guess deep down I have really wanted to pay the debt back but I'm in a situation where I can't right now. Also, while I don't think I will be coming back to U.S. either to work or to live, I wonder what the implications would be if I were just to visit for a vacation.

Thanks for posting the information about Maryland - I will get in touch with the attorney who wrote the article and see what he has to say about my situation.

All the best.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X