Sheriff Calls: Wants me to pick up summons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheriff Calls: Wants me to pick up summons

Yep, the sheriff's office called me and wants me to stop by their main office and pick up a summons. This is the second time in the past three years the sheriff's office has called me. I told the caller that they could come by the house or the office at any time and just drop it off. She said they are quite busy. LOL. In other words, the economy is so crappy in Oregon, the local sheriff's office has reduced serving civil complaints to the very bottom of the priority list.

What I find interesting is that a fee has to be paid to the sheriff's department to serve a summons. So, the office was paid. Why should I have to go and pick the damned thing up?

As a side note, it sounds as if the summons is from Cap1. I'm guessing this is the same account that I received a summons in the mail for. I guess the up-state legal firm does not wish to run the risk of service by mail where they did not require a signed receipt from me.

I am in a 10-day vacation, so I'll saunter up to the Sheriff's office next week and see what the summons says.

I guess one would have to call this "self-service."

That's pretty funny. They should pay you part of the process service fee if you come in for "self-service."
    filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

And you don't have to go pick it up. Would be a shame if you "forgot".

They might (or might not) get around to serving you.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Just keep playing waiting game with them... don't pick up & drag your feet as long as you can.

Comment

that happened to me. If you live in a small town- tho- my advice is to get along with the Sheriffs office.

good will can go farther then you think.....

not that you get special treatment- but - if you are viewed as antagonistic, then no breaks will be cut for you.

if you come off as a bad azz- then you may not get a break.

it does not benefit you to have a reputation as being a scammer.

others may have other opinions on this- but the sheriff is the most powerful man in any given county.

So- best to be cordial. (IMO)
          Discharged- pro se- chapter 7~!

Comment

One can be cordial without doing the sheriff's job. If I were told to go and pick up a summons, I would conveniently forget. And be very polite and apologetic about it when they get around to calling or serving the summons.

Comment

call Crap 1 and tell them you will accept it as long as they send Hot Linda to deliver it
              Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Welcome to the club. Speaking of crap 1, I have not heard from them in over a month. On my Chex Systems report, only my since closed WF account is listed. However, my current bank shows up as a Inquirer. Can creditors see the Inquirer list of the Chex System report?

Originally posted by treehugger1 View Post
                Yep, the sheriff's office called me and wants me to stop by their main office and pick up a summons. This is the second time in the past three years the sheriff's office has called me. I told the caller that they could come by the house or the office at any time and just drop it off. She said they are quite busy. LOL. In other words, the economy is so crappy in Oregon, the local sheriff's office has reduced serving civil complaints to the very bottom of the priority list.

What I find interesting is that a fee has to be paid to the sheriff's department to serve a summons. So, the office was paid. Why should I have to go and pick the damned thing up?

As a side note, it sounds as if the summons is from Cap1. I'm guessing this is the same account that I received a summons in the mail for. I guess the up-state legal firm does not wish to run the risk of service by mail where they did not require a signed receipt from me.

I am in a 10-day vacation, so I'll saunter up to the Sheriff's office next week and see what the summons says.

I guess one would have to call this "self-service."

Comment

Originally posted by jacko View Post
                  Welcome to the club. Speaking of crap 1, I have not heard from them in over a month. On my Chex Systems report, only my since closed WF account is listed. However, my current bank shows up as a Inquirer. Can creditors see the Inquirer list of the Chex System report?
                  Depends on which section it is listed under.
                  If it is in the section "Inquiries Initiated By Consumer Action", then the answer is YES.
                  “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

What is a Chex Systems report (and how do I get one? -- kidding). Seriously, what is that report?

Comment

Originally posted by ApresMoi View Post
                      What is a Chex Systems report (and how do I get one? -- kidding). Seriously, what is that report?
                      You can order your ChexSystems report online here:

https://www.consumerdebit.com/consum...freereport.htm
                      You can also find out more about it at that site - it has also been discussed in this forum in some detail:

http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.php?t=52848
                      “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

I got a call one day from a deputy in another county... He told me he had some papers to serve and wanted me to come meet him so he could serve me. I told him that if he was really a deputy he would have no trouble running my driver's license and serving me at my home several counties away. He insisted that I needed to come see him and get this resolved.

Forgot all about it... six months later, I got served at home in my own county... Ooops... included in the CH7.

Comment

Originally posted by anykey View Post
                          that happened to me. If you live in a small town- tho- my advice is to get along with the Sheriffs office.

good will can go farther then you think.....

not that you get special treatment- but - if you are viewed as antagonistic, then no breaks will be cut for you.

if you come off as a bad azz- then you may not get a break.

it does not benefit you to have a reputation as being a scammer.

others may have other opinions on this- but the sheriff is the most powerful man in any given county.

So- best to be cordial. (IMO)
                          Good advice. Here in built up NJ, the sheriff is a separate function from the police. The sheriff runs the jails and does process service, collections, and the like; not too hard for otherwise law abiding folks to avoid. They don't do patrol, they don't do investigations.

Comment

So by not picking up the summons, it puts a hold on the 20 to 30 days to respond or will you get a judgement if you don't pick it up? Just wondering since a process server came by yesterday but I wasn't home. Chase is filing suit against me after 8 mos non payment on 11k debt.
                            Retained lawyer: 3/30/10
                            Filed Ch. 7: 4/07/10
                            341 Meeting: 5/19/10
                            Discharged: 7/26/10

Comment

Assuming they are not ethically challenged, the clock starts running from the day you are actually served. (Or, the day they tossed the papers down the storm drain and said you were served.)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X