New here- ? regarding collection letter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here- ? regarding collection letter

I am very new here and never posted before, so please bare with me until I learn how to do a post correctly.

I quit paying my bills March 15th and I am trying to hold off until July 1st before filing. I have been getting about 60 calls a day and I am only about a month and a half out. My question though is in regards to an account by GE Money Bank (World Market).

The letter states:

This account has been placed with this agency for collection. Unless you notify this office within 30 days after receiving this notice that you disput the vailidty of this debt, this office will assume the debt is valid. You can dispute the validity of this debt by writing to us within 30 days, this office will obtain verification or a copy of judgement and mail you a copy.

So this is just a collection agency letter correct?
    Do I have anything to worry about that they will be suing soon?
    Should I have them validate the account to buy more time as I am trying to wait till July 1st?

I thank you in advance for any answers you can give me. What is crazy is this account is only 30 days past due and they are already sending a letter like this to me.

Originally posted by Maquitagirl View Post
    I am very new here and never posted before, so please bare with me until I learn how to do a post correctly.

I quit paying my bills March 15th and I am trying to hold off until July 1st before filing. I have been getting about 60 calls a day and I am only about a month and a half out. My question though is in regards to an account by GE Money Bank (World Market).

The letter states:

This account has been placed with this agency for collection. Unless you notify this office within 30 days after receiving this notice that you disput the vailidty of this debt, this office will assume the debt is valid. You can dispute the validity of this debt by writing to us within 30 days, this office will obtain verification or a copy of judgement and mail you a copy.

So this is just a collection agency letter correct?
    Do I have anything to worry about that they will be suing soon?
    Should I have them validate the account to buy more time as I am trying to wait till July 1st?

I thank you in advance for any answers you can give me. What is crazy is this account is only 30 days past due and they are already sending a letter like this to me.
    The notice you received is very standard. You'll receive many threats to sue, but few will actually do that. They can be very agressive trying to collect the money from you. If they do sue and get a judgement, that judgement will be wiped out by your bankruptcy, chapter 7 I assume. Just remember if they do get a judgement and you don't file for BK they can then start procedures to collect on that judgement.

Comment

GE Money gets CAs to write strongarm letters about 60 days past last payment. If you look, odds are the payment goes straight to GE. I have two accounts past due; both were sent to CAs. The first got a DV/CD (stop calling, mail is OK) and both GE and CA are about to get sued for their continued violation (found out from the atty that the OC is liable for CAs they hire.) THe second sent a letter this week, and is about to get a DV/stop calling as well.

The first CA never bothered responding...they kicked it back to the OC who said they did not have any app or contract but sent a nasty letter demanding payment per the contract. No suits yet, no settlement offers, and I am approaching 180 with them now.
      First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

If you plan on filing in July you shouldn't worry about getting sued...as far as the phone is concerned, do what I did...for awhile I just took it off the hook, then I finally just had the phone service cancelled and just used my cell phone.
        Take $10 billion from the government and then sue me...nice

Comment

Simple answer. They all use the same printer. It is a junk form letter and no one will give you a Judgment or otherwise until a suit. A suit takes some time and many threats beforehand.

After all, if you are in bk, and they lose money, why would they lose more suing an already broke person? Well, understand it does happen, but at this time you have no worry.

BTW, your post is just fine. Be yourself and give enough info for aid. Welcome to the forum. 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Standard operating procedure for collections. If you're filing in July, you should have no problems.

60 calls a day? I can relate to that.
            All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
            Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

I got the same standard letter from Sears and Citi collection agencies within 30 days of not paying. For the Citi account, the CA wanted to settle for almost half the amount. I've been very fortunate that I've not gotten 60 calls a day like the OP. I submitted both letters to my attorney and have them deal with it.

Comment

I got one of those letters yesterday from GE as well and I quit paying in March also. It concerned me a little at first then I saw the payment options one of them was to log on GE's website and pay. So, I'm not as concerned now. It's still just GE trying to collect. 60 calls a day sounds about right on my end also. I'm looking at July as the time frame for having the attorney paid in full to file also.

Comment

Yeah I sent a letter to the collection agent and they dumped it back on GE. GE has not given it to anyone else yet though 180 is closing in. I have another GE that is almost 120 and they sent to a CA. Have to send a letter to them too.
                  First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

Thank you so much for the answers. I am so glad I have found a forum that I can go to for questions.

I thought the letter was nothing to worry about, but I'm a worrier and always think that the worst is going to happen.

The calls haven't really bothered me as I have two cellphones on my plan. So for right now they only have the one cellphone number that I don't use. I think the most missed calls was like 77 on it in one day, but I have many accounts that I am not paying (like 22).

Do you think I should make them validate the account or just toss it in my box of others for the lawyer when I go in July?

Comment

I told the first one to quit calling but they bombarded my cell phone for another nine days after signing the letter. They are about to get sued with GE in on it. The second one is going to be DVed and invoking arbitration.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X