Getting tired of the calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting tired of the calls

I stopped paying my credit cards the middle of March. For the month of April I was receiving about 50-60 calls per day but it was on my cellphone which I have mostly silenced all the time.

But now it's May and they are calling me at work. Luckily they are calling me at my own phone number but I know soon they might start calling my boss or other people.

I have to hold off until at least July 1st. That's almost 2 months away. I don't know if I can stay sane until then.

I don't want to talk to them because I feel it's just a waste of my time and I especially cannot talk to them while I'm at work.

Holy Cow!! How many credit cards are we talking about? I've got two that I'm going to be stopping payments on soon. Wondering what I've got to look forward to. I work from home - so not worried about them calling a boss, and my husband's only work number is his cell phone -- but geez, I expected alot, but really? 50-60?? That's ridiculous!
    04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

Comment

We stopped paying the cards in January/Feb. Our phone was ringing non stop starting at 8:00am and not ending until 9pm. Now it never rings, but we did tell a few that we had retained a lawyer, which we have. Still it makes me nervous because I'm afraid of what's next? Will they turn it over to a collector or go straight to filing a lawsuit or hitting us with a wage garnishment We need to save for the attorney fees, so we need a few more months.
      Retained atty 3/2010. Filed Chapter 13 on 1/2013.

Comment

I've been dealing with the calls for 7 months!

However the number of calls PER DAY has some relation to the number of times you answer. For instance, when I was answering the calls, Months ago, it was only a few a day. Each creditor might call every few days.

BUT, once I stopped answering completely, the calls start backing up. They can't reach you, so two calls every other day turns into 3-4-5-7 calls a day. ...times however many cards.

So, I'm now receiving 40+ calls a day. Not that I care.

Comment

When I stopped paying, if my phone didn't ring for 30 minutes it was a miracle...you need to deal with it, it is a fact of life if you don't pay. If they call you at work and they are the OC, simply say, please do not call me at work, I could get in trouble and then you will never get paid. After they move to a collection agency, immediately send them a letter instructing them not to call you at work.
          Take $10 billion from the government and then sue me...nice

Comment

AMEX sent my account to Zwicker and in my debt validation letter to them I gave them my correct address and phone number but added a cease and desist to phone calls. I haven't heard from them since.

No one was more annoying than my bank where I had a small negative balance on my checking account. Out of two mortgages, two cards, and the checking account, I had over 70 phone calls in one week. Over 40 of them were for the checking account.

Comment

Wow. We had about 11 accounts included in the bk and for the first month only received about 5 calls a day. Then we filed so it stopped, but still.

50-60 means it's one call every 12 minutes. Crap.
              attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
              no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
              341, 05/10/2010
              discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

There were times when I had 7 or 8 creditors calling every hour...it was crazy

Comment

Just turn off the ringer.

It's kind of a blessing in this crazy connected world to just disconnect for a while.

After a while you wonder why you're even paying to have the thing in your home.
                  filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

I personally got rid of my home phone...that stopped it from ringing!!!

Comment

Thats what I did, or it would ring every 5 minutes. No use in talking to the ca's if your never going to pay. Nice to have the BK button at arms reach when its time.

Originally posted by catleg View Post
                      Just turn off the ringer.

It's kind of a blessing in this crazy connected world to just disconnect for a while.

After a while you wonder why you're even paying to have the thing in your home.

Comment

Like I said the phone calls to my cellphone I really don't care about because its on silence but the calls at work are getting to me. I just ended up silencing my ringer at work today so my boss doesn't hear it ringing every 15 minutes.

I knew it would be tons of calls per day because I have 20 plus accounts that I'm not paying. Half of them are under 500 owed to each card.

Oh well I will just have to live with it. I thought about telling them I'm going to file bankruptcy but - hear that will bring lawsuits faster.

Is there anything else I can do to decrease the calls?

Comment

I would just tell them, this is my work number, and I am not allowed to take personal calls at work.

If that doesn't stop them, I'd try sending a cease and desist letter. They are mainly useful for collection agencies (since they are part of FDCPA) but OC's will probably also honor.

Dear Creditor,
                          Please cease and desist from calling me regarding account xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx at my work telephone number xxx-xxx-xxxx. I am not allowed to take such calls.

Signed,
                          Can't Pay You Now or Ever
                          filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Originally posted by catleg View Post
                            I would just tell them, this is my work number, and I am not allowed to take personal calls at work.

If that doesn't stop them, I'd try sending a cease and desist letter. They are mainly useful for collection agencies (since they are part of FDCPA) but OC's will probably also honor.

Dear Creditor,
                            Please cease and desist from calling me regarding account xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx at my work telephone number xxx-xxx-xxxx. I am not allowed to take such calls.

Signed,
                            Can't Pay You Now or Ever
                            Indeed. That is worth a try.

And look at the bright side. You're contributing to job growth in our country. Think of how many collectors have been hired!

Be bold, be proud, and be patient. It will all be over soon...........
                            All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                            Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

I know how you feel! We aren't paying for 11 accounts right now & are receiving about 55 calls/day w/ 10 voicemails... I've tried talking to them, it DOES NOT slow them down. Now, the phone is turned off.
                              Stopped paying CCs 1/10 | Stopped paying mortgages 2/10 | Interviewed attorneys 3/10-5/10 | Retained attorney 5/14/10 | Delivered paperwork to attorney 6/17/10 | Filed Ch7 7/9/10 | 341 8/16/10 | Objection Deadline 10/15/10 | DISCHARGED 10/20/10

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X