This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CnsntWithdrn View Post
    Oh it worked out just fine and a year and a half later I'm still driving my car. Anyone here want to address the real issue?
    Year and a half eh?

I played the "running" game for 4 years. Moved 6 times. Lived 100% cash. Put car in parents' name.

Things still caught up to me. Yes, I did avoid judgements because none of them had any idea where I could be served at, not even which STATE, but they got real close. If you still have any kind of income, they will find you. The ones with the most to gain back..

And WTF kind of life is that anyway?

I think in a year or two, you'll be filing BK. Just a hunch.

Comment

Oh it worked out just fine and a year and a half later I'm still driving my car. Anyone here want to address the real issue?

Hmm, the Fed takes yours and my tax dollars and bails out Wall Street against the will of the people and everyone admits it's wrong. But when someone decides to do more than b*&%# about it, but actually fight fire with fire as it were, they get maligned. Yeah, Jim Morrison was right: "People Are Strange" Hey Jim, add weak to the list of descriptive adjectives to describe people.
      Yes, let's deal with the real issue. The banks used legal means to stay afloat during the recession. By filing for bankruptcy, those of us who are going this route are using legal means to survive this recession and RESOLVE our debt issues. Hiding from creditors doesn't RESOLVE anything - it just gives you more time to be looking over your shoulder. There are techniques that can help you hide longer, but those techniques only serve to prolong the time spent looking over your shoulder.

If you're going to 'stick it to them,' do it in a manner that actually resolves the problem.
      Filed: 6/30/2010
      341: 7/26/2010
      Discharged: 10/6/2010

Comment

Originally posted by wonderingrov View Post
        Yes, let's deal with the real issue. The banks used legal means to stay afloat during the recession. By filing for bankruptcy, those of us who are going this route are using legal means to survive this recession and RESOLVE our debt issues. Hiding from creditors doesn't RESOLVE anything - it just gives you more time to be looking over your shoulder. There are techniques that can help you hide longer, but those techniques only serve to prolong the time spent looking over your shoulder.

If you're going to 'stick it to them,' do it in a manner that actually resolves the problem.
        Looking over my shoulder is a bit strong. We're talking about debt default here, not murder. I am prudent to protect what few assets I have and to make it as difficult as I can to be found by my creditors, but I'd hardly say I'm constantly looking over my shoulder. And maybe it was "legal" to take taxpayer dollars and bail out these banks, but it wasn't right. I'm never very impressed by what is legal or illegal. I concern myself with what is right and wrong.

The currency we are required to use has no inherent value but is only worth what the State says it is worth. Due to inflation it will continue to lose its value as history has shown and in practical terms if one waited long enough, their amount of debt will also decrease in value.

My confidence in the fairness of this economic system is zilch. It destroys lives through job insecurity and in order to make up for the resulting stagnation of individual economic growth, it encourages spending on credit. The State had the opportunity in 2008 to actually help people and chose instead to bail out the very institutions responsible for the economic crisis.
        As a result, I no longer feel any sense of loyalty or obligation to this abhorrent system. It can crumble for all I care. In fact, I hope it does.

Comment

My confidence in the fairness of this economic system is zilch. It destroys lives through job insecurity and in order to make up for the resulting stagnation of individual economic growth, it encourages spending on credit. The State had the opportunity in 2008 to actually help people and chose instead to bail out the very institutions responsible for the economic crisis.
          As a result, I no longer feel any sense of loyalty or obligation to this abhorrent system. It can crumble for all I care. In fact, I hope it does.

Maybe you can find a nice cave in Afghanistan that is fairly reasonable for rent?

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedGuns View Post
            Maybe you can find a nice cave in Afghanistan that is fairly reasonable for rent?
            glad someone said it...

I mean, honestly, if you're going to bash the country you live in in its entirety, move the hell OUT of it and give up every right you have as a US Citizen to it and be done with it. Or, if thats simply "too harsh - boo hoo poor you" type of thing for you to handle there Cnstnt - then just give up everything you have, those "precious menial assets" you try so hard to protect - give up that currency that has no inherent value - and live out of a box and ask no one for any assistance until your dying day.

Give us a break.... I think you just like to hear yourself talk quite honestly, so keep trying to dish the BS and as for me - this will be the last post to you as you're a waste of my time, energy and breath.

As for me and mine, I'll proudly represent this country and all its flaws

Comment

STOP YOUR DAMN HIJACK OF THIS STICKY THREAD!

None of you political and philosophical views has anything to do with the subject matter of this Sticky thread.

Take your patriotic views to the General Political section of the BK forum and wack off with Xue, our board resident doom and gloom country hater, please.

Thank you
              “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

I was also mis-informed about this before. Actually, in June this year when I read the news, it scared the heck out of me and when I got court summons that Citi has sued me at month end, I rushed to pay atty to file BK in July to avoid judgment against me.

This is the story: http://www.startribune.com/local/95692619.html
                Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

wnguyen, the article you posted CLEARLY states the arrest was for a missed hearing (contempt of court.) The woman WAS NOT arrested for failure to pay debt.

It is time to lock this thread down. Let folks access it to read comments, but I am sick of all the BS posts on the topic of jail time for failure to pay debt.

We are here to help folks. We don't need to create fear.

Comment

Originally posted by treehugger1 View Post
                    It is time to lock this thread down. Let folks access it to read comments, but I am sick of all the BS posts on the topic of jail time for failure to pay debt.

We are here to help folks. We don't need to create fear.
                    That is exactly why I created this thread, which became a sticky. There will always be uninformed debtors who fall for this debt/jail scare tactic. There are actually better threads, with the pointers in this thread, that debunk these press articles that pop up like mushrooms now and then.
                    “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

treehugger

I didn't mean to create fear to anyone. Sorry if my good intention cause you and anyone to think so. I once fell for that and have lived in fear just because of the misinformation.

To moderators

I think it's best for the forum to remove my post above so that I can avoid any misunderstanding or even worse than that, please. I guess I'm here to share my experience but now I think it's misunderstood.
                      Last edited by wnguyen; 09-02-2010, 04:23 PM. Reason: Please remove my post above
                      Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

Your post is fine. As you now know, you probably had a couple of months or so after your summons before any judgment would appear; default or otherwise.

Comment

This is likely a violation of the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Under that Act, an aggrieved person may recover money damages, statutory damages of up to 1,000, and attorney fees and costs if a violation is proved.

Comment

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

I hope it is ok to post to this ....

In 2006 I was sued. In upstate NY. I did not respond or attend. I was in the process of moving, and didn't see anyway to effectively fight it besides.

Now, tonight I am reading this thread. Then, I started reading the threads and articles. Then it occurred to me....what if the creditor filed for a written interrogatory from the judgment creditor. I would never know it. I moved from there before the judgement was logged....and , I have moved many times since then, across several states. (The big reason I am now able to use the federal exemptions in BK). I realize the judgement goes away once I file....but...bench warrant .. Wow Would that have to have been personal service? Would a court summons be done just a nail and mail to the last known address? Wow. Do I have to worry about a traffic violation in NY?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X