top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mail a DV letter or call & tell collectors we've retained atty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mail a DV letter or call & tell collectors we've retained atty?

We've now received 3 letters from 3 different collection agencies. All basically saying the same thing...your acct has been placed with us...blaa blaa blaa..
    A portion of the letter states:

Unless you notify this office within 30 days after receiving this notice that you dispute the validity of the debt or any portion thereof, this office will assume this debt is valid. If you notify this office in writing within 30 days from receiving this notice, that the debt, or any portion thereof is disputed, this office will obtain verification of the debt or obtain a copy of a judgment and mail you a copy of such judgment or verification.

So should I send them a DV letter OR should I just call them and tell them we've retained an attorney and then give them his number...or is it too late for that?

I'm asking here first because I'll be charged if I call and ask our atty.
    Thanks!
    Retained atty 3/2010. Filed Chapter 13 on 1/2013.

You haven't filed yet, right? Just because you have an attorney, doesn't give you any protection under the stay. Not until you actually file. So, sure send a DV letter. CMRR. Keep copies.

Comment

No, we haven't filed. I thought if we told them we had retained our atty (which we have) it might buy us more time. It stopped all the calls for the time being, but I didn't tell these three in time-and they went to collections.
      Retained atty 3/2010. Filed Chapter 13 on 1/2013.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X