Do you know if you have been served?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you know if you have been served?

I had been paying until I ran out of money. It came to a point where I didnt answer the phone and tossed the mail. Last Saturday a sheirf came and served me a complaint paper. Of course I answered it. But I am wondering could one of my other creditors serve me without me knowing? I get mail at the UPS store too. I just got a part time job finally but only make 9.00/hr. I cant repay my debts , but cant afford an attorney either. Please help, I need friends so bad right now. Thank You!!!

In theory, there shouldn't be a way they can't serve you, mail, process server, county deputy, someone should be able to that summons into your hands some how.

If reality: It happens. not all the time but it does happen with some of the more half-assed or skeezy bill collectors, they either have the wrong address or they "goof up" on purpose. And you don't know you missed a court appearance till you get the judgment in the mail or open your checking account or paycheck to see a big chunk of money gone.

My advice: Just check with your areas court-clerk on every couple of weeks or so and just ask them if your name is on the docker or if there's been a summon issued for your appear. Explain to them what is going on and that you just want to make sure you're not missing anything that your should in attendance for.

I checked mine today and there was a line of about 20 people or so doing the same thing and sure enough the lady three people ahead of me had a judgment on her that she didn't know about from a Payday-Advance place.

Comment

Thank you so much. Iam trying my best to do the right thing. I had been doing a lot of just tossing the mail,(I know very wrong), but been so depressed about this I didnt know who to turn to. Tried to call debt relief , but they really dont give answers.

Comment

There are lots of non-traditional ways of learning you've been served. These are not considered legal service, but have happened to me. In one case, I got solicitation letter from a big debtor defense law firm. In the letter they said their investigation of courthouse records had shown I was being sued....I checked and they were right!

Another case I was in the courthouse for another legal matter and happened to input my name into the electronic search computer/kiosk to see if I was sued and sure enough, my name came up! ...new lawsuit.

I do this now every few weeks. I would always check your certified mail also.

Comment

dear ryan who do you go to in the court house or write to. I have never been in trouble before. Thank you so much!! I have begun to get shivvers every time a police car is in our neighborhood

Comment

General Sessions Court Clerk. Just go up and ask them. They don't bite, and it's fairly common of a question.

Comment

There is something sometimes referred to as "Sewer Service" that is where the process server can't find you but wants to get paid anyway. He/she tosses your summons down the nearest sewer and files an affidavit saying he/she has served you.

In my state, Georgia most service is done by badge wearing, gun toting, squad car driving folks... so sewer service isn't all that common. But it still happens.

Comment

Originally posted by merime View Post
                dear ryan who do you go to in the court house or write to. I have never been in trouble before. Thank you so much!! I have begun to get shivvers every time a police car is in our neighborhood
                Just go to the Clerks office in the courthouse. They usually have long counters and will look up filings for you. You may also have the electronic kiosks in the lobby where you just input your name and any current cases will display on the screen.

I get the shivers whenever the ice cream truck is in my neighborhood, 'cause I'm on a diet!.

Comment

I live in a city adjacent to Los Angeles, California. I wonder how they would serve me here? Is there a way I can find out? I have also read that a sherif can server you papers anytime basically . . . even at 5:00 a.m. (at hour home). I wonder how come they do not have to abide by the FDCA hour laws of contact? When I was a kid, I remember that one of our neighbors 2 doors down had been severed with auto repossession papers at 5:00 a.m., and I saw the tow truck driver tow their car away in the dark of morning.

Merime, I TOTALLY understand what you are going through. I know that I am overreacting this early in my BK game, but every time I hear an unusual noise (between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.) in front of my house, I worry that it may be a Process Server.

Quagmire

Comment

I don't know about in California but here in Georgia the deputy can serve you anytime or anywhere that they find you. For the most part our county only has a couple of paper serving deputies that generally work daytime. When the deputy was trying to serve me for some reason I kept not being home during the daytime... I don't know, work maybe? I was driving down the road when a deputy stops me. He tells me to hold on a minute. His buddy pulls up in his squad car and well... I got served!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X