Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you move should you....

Hi all,

If you move, should you put in a change of address at the post office, or is that like a come and get me sign to creditors? Maybe just let who you want to know your new address, or will they know anyway because you transfer your utilites??

Originally posted by Tartbird View Post
    Hi all,

If you move, should you put in a change of address at the post office, or is that like a come and get me sign to creditors? Maybe just let who you want to know your new address, or will they know anyway because you transfer your utilites??
    the last time that I moved, I only did mail forward...so without telling any creditors, within two weeks, I was getting collection notices at my new address, since you do have to give any utility company your SS, then I predict this is how they got the new address...the new utility runs your credit...the collection company monitors your report for new changes, they see a new address reported by the utility company, bam...done deal, they somewhat know where you live...I always use a PO BOX...so at the least the collection company now knows my new po box location. If you use your SS number, it will not take long to find you.

Comment

I stopped giving the Post Office my new addresses when I saw a $20 "background check" of my name. It had every address I had ever lived at including my college dorm. The Post Office makes the information freely available to anyone who wants to purchase it. I would advise against it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaaaah! View Post
        I stopped giving the Post Office my new addresses when I saw a $20 "background check" of my name. It had every address I had ever lived at including my college dorm. The Post Office makes the information freely available to anyone who wants to purchase it. I would advise against it.
        yea i agree my mother mother moved house and the same people annoying her found her, all sorted now.
        but would you have to be careful if you have outstanding debt and they somehow find you they might fall on you like a tonne of bricks
        Link Removed By Moderator

Comment

They will eventually find you...or, they can just get default judgments against you at your prior address (since it is your last known address).

What are you trying to accomplish, exactly. Just skip out on your creditors, or do you actually have a plan to SOLVE your debt challenges (i.e. BK).

Comment

In general I have read that it's best to open a PO Box and have mail forwarded there when you move.

Eventually they will get your address from somebody when you apply for credit, possibly from one of the utility companies.
            filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Thanks everyone. We do plan to file BK. It is just complicated because we own a sole Prop business, and we are sort of stalling until we pay the lawyer completely. He thinks we should just throw business and all into BK, but we do not want to because the business is growing an avg of 28% every month compared to last year. It has great potential and we love our business. But not sure the LL will not freak out and make a decision for us so we continue to stall, until someone sues us I guess. If we do the BK without the business then if it all goes south we still have debt even after the BK. But I guess you can't get water from a stone so maybe it wouldn't matter...

Comment

Umm, you really have NO CHOICE but to include the business in the BK. Being that it is a Sole Prop (not that it would matter if it was an LLC or INC), there is no difference or distinction between you, individually, and the business. You must list all debt and assets, including all business debts and assets.

Comment

What I meant was close the business when we include it. We do not want to close the business if possible. Sometimes I am less than easy to understand.

Comment

You don't necessarily need to "close" the business when you file BK. Whether you need to depends on the nature of the business, its asset value, and states exemptions. You may want to talk to a few more (higher end) attorneys.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X