cross collateralization on a co-signed account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cross collateralization on a co-signed account

A situation seemed to pop up today, and I'm not sure how to react. One of my large creditors (a large credit union) of whom I owe about 60K in total to on 3 separate lines of credit / credit cards and am just over 30 days past due brought up the fact that i also 'owned a car with them'. The car they are speaking of is a loan I co-signed for someone 3-4 years ago when times were good. That person has made all payments on time.

I know that the CU can cross collateralize assets....but I am wondering if they can on an asset that I merely co-signed for. Whether or not they would actually repo a car that the payments are being made on....which is probably not worth more than the 5-10K that is owed on the car, is a different story. Thoughts on their security interest in this co-signed loan?

And I guess while we are on topic...in a chapter 7, by listing this CU, and having my name removed as a responsible party, does that kill the cross collateralization? Sounds like it would.

dk if lender can still go after the other borrower for cross-collateralized loans if you file Chapter 7 and are removed. Find out from a bankruptcy lawyer, and if the other borrower will not be in the clear, tell that borrower to re-finance the car asap.
    Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Comment

Banks and credit unions love for you to cross collateralize. They will get you coming and going.

The car needs to be refinanced elsewhere a.s.a.p.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X